exos 2.5 pump setting issues?

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: exos 2.5 pump setting issues?

Postby Izerous » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm

I believe this has occurred with previous units and was something to do with the control board not the complexity or length of the loop. There should be posts here somewhere about it.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

RpR
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby RpR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:06 am

Same problem here. Anything below setting 6 and the pump runs for a second or two, then stops, runs again etc.
This is expensive hardware, why doesn't it work properly?

RpR
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby RpR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 am

Update: Contacted Koolance tech support and I'll get a replacement, wee! Let's hope this was a one off :)

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:18 pm

If the pump throttling at lower speeds is a new symptom, it can be the pump or control board going bad. If it's always been like that (or starts after a pump replacement), it's usually a compatibility issue between the Exos control board and the pump firmware. The pump's firmware is updated quite frequently, and there are other tolerances which can vary between production batches. These often affect how the Exos board operates the pump, particularly on the lower levels.

The difference between minimum (level 1) and maximum (level 10) flow rates of PMP-400 in an Exos-2.5 is only about 2LPM. So the range of adjustment doesn't produce a very large difference in flow rate even when all speed levels affect the pump. If you have a flow meter in the loop, you can check the range you're getting at the lowest speed which still operates the pump versus the highest speed.

Since pump flow influences cooling performance much less than radiator airflow, many customers find one pump level that produces an acceptable amount of noise and leave it for the lifetime of the system.

DDuckMan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DDuckMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Same problem here, and I am on my second pump and control board.

My 2 year old Exos 2.5 had 2-3 second dropouts from day 1 with any setting below 5 or 6 (can't remember exactly). I just kept increasing the pump speed when I noticed the problem. New settings would be fine for a while, but by the end I think I was running it at 7. At that speed it was noisier than I would like but it seemed to work fine until 2 weeks ago, when I had an overheat alarm. CPU block temp was 10C higher than I had ever seen, close to 50C IIRC. It wasn't enough to cause a shutdown and I don't know for sure if the pump had stopped (I had headphones on and didn't look at the reservoir). I used the PC for a few more days without problems until multiple seal failures fried my motherboard. All of the swivel fittings and the joints between the halves of my NB and CPU blocks all leaked, probably due to the excess heat several days before. Straight fittings were fine. There was no significant corosion in any of the fittings or blocks.

I rebuilt the PC, replaced all fittings and blocks, and replaced the pump and control board for the Exos to the tune of about 800.00. With the new pump and board I first tried pump-1 and had 2 second drops within minutes. Pump-2 ran for a while but had fairly frequent dropouts. Pump-3 I tried for a few days but it would drop every hour or two. I am on Pump-4 and I have had a single 2 second drop in about 2 days. It seems better than my last pump and board but I suspect in a few weeks I will be right back where I was at noisy 7, worrying about another catastrophy.

Clearly either the pump, the control board, or the firmware is faulty in design. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed in two years. (There were several threads on this subject when I bought the 2.5 in 2009.) My original Exos ran for at least 5 years without a problem. While I am willing buy products that help me set up a fast but quiet PC, I won't continue to do it at the expense of reliability.

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”