Exos 2.5 upgrades

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Exos 2.5 upgrades

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I am replacing 3 140mm that are in the case, 3 120mm in my shroud and 2 120mm that are under my radiator. Later I will probably replace the ones that are in my exos and also clean the radiator out to it probably needs it. I just want a nice flow and low levels of noise.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

DDuckMan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DDuckMan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Well, Izerous was right. While the Noctua fans definitely work in the Exos, I'm finding that they don't move enough air even at F10. They are quiet though.

I found a nice roundup of fans tested on a radiator, including the Koolance fan for comparison. Here is the Koolance:
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/artic ... z1ca7YeLuY
It performs mid pack, but can move a lot more air than the Noctua. The Noctua is not included in that roundup, but he tested it with a couple other fans later. Basically the airflow through a radiator is about the same with the Koolance at F5 as the Noctua at F10. Here is a link to a thread discussing the review:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ting-Noise)

I'll be taking the Noctuas out when I get my Gentle Typhoon DC1225C12B5AP-15 fans (which are now sold by Scythe). They top out at 35 CFM as opposed to the Koolance which will do 43 CFM. Not a big deal when you consider the last 10 CFM of the Koolance is unusable due to the noise and the Typhoon is much quieter at all levels. Listen to the videos of each fan at the same CFM to get an idea how big the difference is. The Noctua tops out at only 24 CFM, good enough for case duty only IMO.

DDuckMan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DDuckMan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:50 pm

After a little more time with the Noctua fans, I think I was a little too critical of them. At F10 they do an adequate job of cooling my i7 and 2x GTX580s even when gaming. The room is currently 72F. I don't think they are quite strong enough to handle 3 blocks in the summer, but they are fine for now and much quieter than the Koolance fans. If you are only cooling a CPU, they should be fine even if it is overclocked.

The Gentle Typhoon fans I ordered (good luck finding them unless you let Amazon gouge you for 30 bucks a pop) have quite a bit more headroom. In the second test they moved up to 40 CFM vs the Nocuta's max of 23.5 CFM. They are also about as quiet as the Noctuas. In fact they are quieter CFM for CFM than the Noctuas and are probably the best available upgrade if you are looking to decrease noise without sacrificing performance.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 pm

I put the fans in and I must say its different, the koolance fans are louder but they dispense more heat. i will look into the typhoon fans once spring rolls around and give these noctua fans to my other case which my family use. At least they won't go to waste.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am

With anything from scythe just make sure you buy an extra fan or two for when the bearings start to go early. I'd rather put up with the noise of the 3xTK123's I have at full speed than deal with noisy bearings.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

DDuckMan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DDuckMan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:21 pm

I got the Gentle Typhoons today and put them in. Even at F10 they are not as loud as the pump at P5, they are much quieter than the Koolance fans, and almost inaudable at F5 and below. They also feel like they move more air at F5 than the Noctuas at F10. Here are the load temps (72F ambient):

Koolance fans at F5 P5 (CPU 360 block, i7 @ 3.8MHz)
CPU 50C cores 61-67C

Noctua NF-P12 at F10 P8 (CPU 370 block, i7 @ 3.06MHz)
CPU 52C cores 59-65C

Gentle Typhoon AP-15 at F10 P5 (CPU 370 block, i7 @ 3.06MHz)
CPU 40C cores 47-54C

Idle temps are 28C and 28-38C

I'm very impressed. Note the Koolance fans were running slower to combat noise and would probably have comparable performance at F10. I decided to show temps at acceptable noise levels rather than equivalent fan power settings. Also, I haven't gotten around to overclocking the CPU since I replaced my MB, but my i7 temps don't change much with overclocking, at least up to 3.8. I have my CPU voltage at the same setting I use to overclock though.

The GTs are pretty hard to get now. I got mine from Petra's Tech shop for 20.00ea. They can be had for 15ea if you can wait for the cheaper places to stock them, or 30ea at Amazon if you want them asap. For those of you that worry about Scythe products, they are made by Nidec Servo in Indonesia and distributed by Scythe in the US. There is no Scythe branding on the fans themselves.

The fan cables are unshielded and too short for two of the fan positions. I was able to make 2x 3 pin extensions by harvesting the connectors from the included molex adaptors and got the male ends from a couple old fans, or you could just buy some extensions for cheap.

The fans run from F1 - F10 and move quite a bit of air even at F1. I'd run them slower but can't hear them over the pump even at F10.

The grey blades and black bodies look very good in the Exos, much better than the Noctuas and even the Koolance fans IMO.

I looked at the Exos for any way air could be working around the radiator. Koolance does a pretty good job of sealing the radiator mount, but the fan faces are elevated off their mounting points by 3mm or so. I decided to attach foam tape to the faces of the fans (not between the fan and radiator) before screwing them on for a nearly air tight space between the fans and the radiator. I'm not sure it makes any difference but I feel better now knowing I have done everything I can think of to improve the 2.5 with minor mods. If only someone would come up with a way to silence the pump I'd truly be set.

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”