Asus KGPE-D16 Cooling Sytem

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
jpass022
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Asus KGPE-D16 Cooling Sytem

Postby jpass022 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Attached is a diagram that is a rough draft of a cooling system for my Asus KGPE-D16 Motherboard. Looking for comments and ideas. This is my first build with Koolance water cooling.

Water Cooling System.jpg
Asus KGPE-D16 Cooling System Diagram
(241.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Asus KGPE-D16 Cooling Sytem

Postby Izerous » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Don't do so many parallel paths, because they are not identical your flow rates will be all over the place and your temperatures will suffer on some components.

You essentially have 7 parallel paths... your flow rate on each path will not be (total flow / 7). More fluid will flow through the northbridge block than anything else in the grouping because it is the lowest resistance which means it will be cooled better than any other component. Does your northbridge really needs to be cooled better than the CPUs/GPUs?
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jpass022
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby jpass022 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

If needed, I was going to use ball valves to fine tune flow through each branch. Looked at stepper motor controlled ball valves also, but not sure if I need dynamic control. I think that once I get the flow distribution correct, then I won't need to alter it. Once I get the flow figured out with ball valves, I could determine the reduced cross section of the ball valves, then get rid of the ball valves and move the restriction to the nozzle with a custom jet. And yes, you are right, the Northbridge shouldn't need as much flow as the other components.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Your better of simply just simplifying the loop. Also I didn't notice this the first time but the PSU doesn't have a pump in the plate heat exchanger. It circulates the internal fluid but the loop you connect to it has to have a pump.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

HELLFIRETOYZ
Tactical Bucket Splasher
Tactical Bucket Splasher

Postby HELLFIRETOYZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Looks like he has a DDC (PMP-400) hooked into the res...which is fine, but honestly you'd be better off just rerouting that entire loop. Ball valves are just unnecessary with what your wanting to cool. I'd go with 2 DDC's or D5's (Strong) and put your 370's and the memory in one loop and everything else in the other. I'd also ditch that PSU and go with something more efficient. Like a Silverstone Strider or something of that caliber. The Koolance PSU looks great, and the thought of liquid cooling it is cool, but that's about it. Performance is not something your paying for there...
Hellfire - multi-mission, and multi-target precision-strike capability weapon system, "fire-and-forget!"

BFG GTX285 OC'd 3-Way Blocked
Asus P6T7 SuperComputer Blocked
i7 920 @ 4.21Ghz Blocked
Corsair DDR3 1600 - 6Gb
OCZ Vortex SSD 120

AgentX250
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby AgentX250 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:51 am

If you want something this parallel you would be better off running 3 loops instead of 2. Here is how I would route your system, split the main line from 1/2" id into 2x 3/8" id lines and send one to each cpu the exit lines (also 3/8") cool the memory banks closest to their respective cpu; now use a splitter and join the 2x 3/8" lines back into a single 1/2" line and send that to the nb block and from the nb block hit the gfx cards, you can run the gfx cards in parallel by using a set of dual vid connectors then just route the 1/2" return line to the rad.
Mobo: evga 780i FTW
CPU: intel q9650 @ 3.42 @ 1.25 (stock voltage)
GFX: 3x evga GTX470 SLI
Ram: 4gb ocz pc2-8500 @ 760mhz
PSU: Enermax revolution 85+ 1050 watt
Hdd: 1tb hitachi C, 2x 1tb WD (main/backups)
Cooling: full coverage custom liquid cooling

jpass022
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby jpass022 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Attached is my latest version of my cooling system, I've received most of the items for my build now, I'm very impressed with the quality of the items. I wont' be able to water cool my North and South Bridge chips because of clearance problems with components around the chips. Need a lot smaller water block for this MB. The thermal output is small for this MB though, North Bridge - 18W, South Bridge - 4W. I'm thinking about putting a water block on my OCZ PCI SSD, but it's rated at 8W. I'm going to wait until later to cool the RAM. I'll put a probe on it and see what the temps are. Supposedly the thermal output of 8 x 4GB of RAM is 80W. The Water Cooled Power Supply is being discontinued and I wanted a minimum of 1200W for my setup anyway, so no water cooled PS. I'm staying with a parallel setup for now with a flow sensor and temp sensor in each circuit. I'll be able to gather some good data from this setup. Put in another hardware order today, hopes it's enough to start flow testing.

Water Cooling System no PS no RAM no MB no SSD.jpg
(202.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”