System Heating up? No idea what to do or check.

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
Aldrick
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

System Heating up? No idea what to do or check.

Postby Aldrick » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 am

I have an issue with my system heating up.

I have a Koolance System, the Exos Liquid Cooling System model. I didn't install it myself; I paid someone else to do it. It was installed almost a year ago, and for the most part has been doing great.

However, today for some odd reason it's decided to begin heating up. And by heating up – I mean the temperature is climbing fast and not cooling down. Generally, the first sensor claims that my computer is running at roughly 77 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

However, since this morning the temperature has started to climb. It's now climbing more rapidly. At the time I am writing this the temperature is 116 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have no idea what has caused this sudden shift in temperature. Nothing has changed. I didn't even reboot my computer from the day previous until after I started seeing the problem. However, I did hear what sounded like (I am assuming) an air bubble in the water line. That is when the temperature started to rise.

I ignored it at first, figuring that if there was air in the line it'd work itself out. It didn't. So I decided to turn the computer completely off to allow the liquid to "settle" after a few moments I turned it back on. That is when the temperature began to increase beyond 100 degrees. However, it sounds normal again - no air in the line.

Since I didn't install it myself I don't really know much about the system.

Okay, holy crap. Just as I wrote the last line the thing started making the sound again. Almost instantly the temperature began to plummet back down to around 87 degrees. Now it is slowly rising again - currently at 95 degrees, the sound is gone.

I have no idea what is wrong. Is the system about to fail? Does it need more liquid coolant? How do I check to see if it requires more liquid?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Aldrick
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: System Heating up? No idea what to do or check.

Postby Aldrick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 am

I should point out that in the days since I've waited for this threads approval, I've added additional coolant to the system. It didn't require any (took less than a shot glass full), but I filled it up completely anyway.

At the moment it is working fine. However, for the two previous days the heating continued to rise. Multiple times the alarm went off when it reached 131 degrees Fahrenheit, and I had to shut the computer down. For the entirety of yesterday it would not cool down at all. However, today it seems to be working fine, but I fear this may only be temporary.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

[Koolance] James
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby [Koolance] James » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello Aldrick,

From what you're describing, it sounds like when there is no sound, the temperature rises, and when it does make a sound, the temperature drops. This could mean that the sound you're hearing is the pump running (it kicks on, and your temperatures drop, as they should).

More information would be helpful. How full is your reservoir (_% full, or a picture even would be good)? Can you hear your pump running (it would be the only sound you can hear, besides the fans)? Are all of the fans running? What is your pump/fan speeds set to? Can you see dust in your Exos radiator (blocking airflow)?

If your reservoir isn't as full as it was, you might have a slow leak somewhere, check for that.

Thanks,
James B.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Sounds like the pump is set very low and only turning on when the temp gets high. If the pump is on low if you tap the set button a few times where it gets to the letter p see what setting it's on where 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest. Next try to see if the radiator is filled with dust, to do that you will have to disconnect the back hoses flip the exos over and unscrew the bottom. If its dusty grab a air can and clean the radiator out.

And what James said, see if the reservoir is not filled. If its not that could be another cause of the noise and the heat increase. Having a liquid cooled machine requires a lot of attention cause a lot of things can go wrong without proper maintenance. Always do some research about liquid cooling to see what does what and how to maintain a clean machine.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”