First time builder, needs some advice

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
snip596
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

First time builder, needs some advice

Postby snip596 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Another one of these threads. Not exactly the right forum but it's where all the other posts like this go. ;)

I'm building a new computer and plan on adding water cooling. I've decided to stick with Koolance for all the parts, and just wanted to make sure this will work.

Components:
Case: COSMOS 1000 (OK, this isn't new, but it's a great case)
CPU: i7 2600k (plan on overclocking this of course)
GPU: GTX 590 (1 for now, getting another one later. May overclock, depending on temps)

What I plan on buying:
RP-1200
CPU-370
VID-NX590
3/8" Compression (5 pairs)
HX-CU1320V 4x 120 Radiator
BKT-HX001 Radiator Mounting Bracket
15 feet or so of this
A 700mL bottle of this
VLV-XTSPLB Drain Valve

I still need to pick out some fans for the radiator. The setup is a single loop. Pump/res --> Radiator --> CPU --> GPU --> Drain Valve --> Pump/res

Now, for some questions.

1. Am I missing something?
  2. Will a 4x120mm radiator be enough to cool my CPU and *two* NVIDIA GTX 590's (I'll only be getting one initially but plan to move on to two in 6 months or so)? Or, do you think a 3x120mm would be enough?
  3. With the radiator mounting bracket, can the radiator be extended away from the case far enough to leave room for DVI cables? I plan on mounting the radiator like this image. However, it's a 4x120, so one extra 120 will be hanging below, which is sure to cover up the DVI ports coming from my video card(s). That image looks like it's far enough, just wondering if anyone has any experience.
  4. How easy is it to drain a system with that drain valve? If it's at the bottom of the loop, will it work well? Will I still have to tilt the system all over?
  5. When I get my second 590, should I split the 3/8" coming from the CPU into two 1/4" tubes (one for each GPU), or will it be fine in series?
  6. Will the pump be able to keep up with the CPU and two GPUs?
  7. Will the different metals for the blocks and radiator affect the coolant? I've heard that you shouldn't mix metals, and if you do you should get some specially treated coolant. Is this still a factor, and do you have any coolant recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can provide me! Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: First time builder, needs some advice

Postby Izerous » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 am

1. At a minimum if you think you only need 1 bottle of coolant buy 2.
2. The bigger you go the slower you can set your fans. So if budget isn't a huge concern go as big as you can to keep the fan speeds down. You could probably make a smaller rad work but you would need to start looking at beefier and noisier fans.
3. I had room for DVI cables with the older rear mounting system from like 4 years ago. The new one has better clearances.
4. My favorite way to drain a system is not with a drain value but with QDC fittings. Put a QDC near the bottom of you loop and have a spare set not in the case with a little bit of hose attached to the spare QDC's.
5. Don't bother will parallel keep it series.
6. The pump should be fine with what you proposed.
7. What you don't want to mix is Copper and Aluminum. Most components are also plated so the the fluid isn't touching bare copper, or bare aluminum. You main concern would be things like using an aluminum rad with a block where fluid touched bare copper. But your buying all Koolance parts and going with copper rads so you should be fine.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Got to love the forums and different opinions lol.

1. Do pick up a couple bottles of coolant cause you will be surprised on how fast it will go. Pick up a couple pairs or QDCs on what Iz's method is for draining and trust us it does work.
2. If you pick up the 4x120mm rad you will be fine for now with what you have. It will no problem dispensing the heat but if you pick up the second card I would throw a 2x120mm rad just to be on the safe side for that extra cooling.
3. Never had the mounting bracket cause it just doesn't look right and it seems unsafe. What happens if that rad catches a leak, how would you know since its behind your tower and where will it go?
4 Goes back to answer question 1 on what you missing. The QDCs are the ideal method of draining the liquid and also making some changes very quickly.
5. Here's where I say something different. I have a parallel loop going cause splitting will just cause the flow to slow down a lot. I plan on getting another 6990 or buy 2 7990s when they are out and but them in one loop and keep my CPU in another loop. But splitting is not a good way to go so if you have the funds parallel is a smart way but requires extra equipment otherwise just keep it series.
6. Depends how much tubing you have to use and what your layout looks like so picking up an extra pump when you get your second card would not be a bad idea at all. At least you will have a nice steady flow but for now one pump is just fine.
7. What Iz said so you should be fine with koolance parts.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

snip596
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby snip596 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks Izerous! Just a quick follow up.

1. Yeah, I realized that 700mL probably wouldn't work. I think I'll get 3, just in case.
2. I think I'll be picking up 4 of these. 80 CFM and low noise. Should I get fans with higher CFM (110+) and then just keep the speed low? Also, were you confirming that a 4x120 could handle a CPU and two GPUs, or just a single GPU?
3. Awesome, awesome. I finally found a good youtube video of some guy who had one. He put on some 30 degree fittings on the radiator which let the tubes coming out from the top of the case to connect cleanly. Thanks for confirming!
4. Hmmm... that's a good idea! I'm initially going to get compression fittings, but I plan on moving to QDCs once I buy my second video card (I'd be using QDCs for everything). Maybe I'll buy a couple for the quick draining mechanism you mentioned.
5. Yeah, seems like that's what everyone does.
6. The pump should be fine with a CPU block and 2 GPUs?
7. Ahhh. That makes more sense. Seems like everyone said "don't mix metals", but I see now it's only certain types of metals. I was always curious why Koolance would sell parts made from different kinds of metals if it supposedly wasn't a good idea to mix them.

Thanks again for the answers. If you could just confirm that my setup should work for 1 CPU and 2 GPUs down the road I'll be ready to order!

snip596
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby snip596 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Ah, thanks Ace. I was afraid of the radiator comment (needing another one after I put in a second GPU). Seems like 4x120 would be pushing it :(. When I get a second one I may just upgrade my case so I'll have room for the radiators.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I think I said it in another thread but they have external rads that you can put next to your machine instead of putting the rads on top or inside. And I used to have the COSMOS 1000 case, its a nice beginner case to learn about liquid cooling and what to do. Once you start knowing how everything works then a bigger case would be better lol but for now you should be alright and just take your time on the build the last thing you want to do is have a leak that will destroy your components especially the 590. Having the 6990 I know how important it is so messing with the 590 you will feel the same way lol, just make sure you double check all the fittings to make sure everything is on tight and then check again. Take some breaks to cause it will get a little frustrating at times. Just some friendly advice.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”