Case, cooling and motherboard

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
Nadoedalo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Case, cooling and motherboard

Postby Nadoedalo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 am

Hi everyone,
Just want to ask for an advise - want to build high-performance and quiet gaming PC and don't know what case to choose at all and what motherboard will fit me.
I'm new to water cooling and overclocking, so really need a lot of help.
I will have this parts :
i7-4770K
2x Radeon R9 290X(PowerColor water cooled one)
Memory 4gb x 4 @ 1866 (kit) - I think any will do
PSU @ 1250W - something like OCZ ZX Series 1250W
Motherboard - I think GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC (rev. 1.0) will do the trick but I don't think I need such a motherboard. Want to install waterblock on it, want to have "safe boot" and "memory reset" but I'm not really good overclocker so diagnostic inputs are not necessary.
HDD 3 tb and ssd for 256-512 gb.

want a case that can fit all of that + water cooling parts(like large 4-fan radiator on top). Something like in scheme below.
Image (clickable)
Maybe the scheme isn't that much accurate but that will be the best I guess. At the whitespace will be radiator maybe? It seems like a pretty big thing(51.5 cm? while the standart case is something like 55-60 cm in width).
Also I want to reach 5 ghz(or at least 4.7) on CPU and there will be 2 hot video cards, so will that meet 4-fan 30 fpi radiator if I will put 140mm fans? And what about dust & noise cover?

So I need an advise of what case, cooling stuff and motherboard shoud I buy for this system. Also don't know about water cooling monitor system - it costs a lot of money and I don't think it will give any advantage. Also don't really want pretty system so monstrous but practical case with high-performance stuff in it will do.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Case, cooling and motherboard

Postby Izerous » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Dust filters reduce overall performance, the more effective the filter the worse it flows air. Saying that I still put them on my computer as it is on the floor right now and my daughter is now 4.5 months old I don't want little fingers getting into my exposed fans.

Side note my system with 2x6990's draws more more than what your 290X cards will and my UPS reports that I can pull over 900W from the wall. So you could get away with smaller but not my much.

Most enthusiast cases will fit things like 3x120 in the top and a 1x120 in the rear without modifications such as an 800D. Newer cases like the 900D will fit even more internally but there are a lot of other options outside of corsair aswell and they are quite large. I already struggle to move my 800D around when I need to.

4x120 or 4x140 will probably sufficient for your needs but the more overkill you go with the radiator the quieter your system will be overall.

Something like an RP-1200 will give you basic monitoring, and a pump/res all at the same time.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Nadoedalo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Nadoedalo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:52 pm

I think I found the case - Fractal Design Define XL R2.
There are two options - or put two (3+2 or 2+2 fans radiator) or mod the top cover. I'm thinking about the hole for the radiator and a shroud that lifts a bit a radiator, covers the ugly hole and that is covered with some dust and noise protection(thoughd about default shroud, but it places radiators on top of the radiator, and I want them to be inside of the case for better noise protection). Second one is tough, but really good decision, just need someone who can make new top cover, that is the modded replica of the original and fits my vision.

RP-1200 has very weak pump. Something like PMP-500 is much better. And actually I'm thinking about some controller that follows some required temperature and controls fans and reports about the status. Better if it does it reports through software, no need of display I think. Maybe just fan controll group + liquid temp/flow metre + some kind of software to do the job.

And yeah, I know that dust&noise covers reduce the air flow rate, but that is OK because I have a lot of fans inside to blow air in, and out fans can be open to do their job. So I think that won't be a problem.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 pm

The PMP-400 is actually a really good pump and is one of the industry standard pumps (different names for the pump from different brands) and more than capable for your proposed loop. It is the PMP-300 that I suggest people to stay away from.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Nadoedalo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Nadoedalo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am

I'm getting my PC parts now and need to buy water cooling.
I'm solving case problem with custom desk-case(eventually I need a desk too and it seems not so much overpay).

So, I need final help with liquid cooling parts.
Parts :
CPU i7-4770K
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC (still questionable, but seems to be good choice)
GPU PowerColor R9 290X LCS(or reference + water block)
PSU EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 GB
HDD Hitachi (HGST) Ultrastar 7K4000
Memory Kingston KHX18C9T3K4/16X

Questions :
1) I guess something that can control a lot of fans(two groups at least, 8+ fans in one and 4-8 in other), have monitor to show temperature of water, cpu and gpu, pressure and flow. Do this part even exists? That would be nice, but not a requirement. I think some kind of active fan hub(PSU powered) + default motherboard fan controls can do the job quite well.
*UPDATED
I need two fan control hub with reobases(don't know about accuracy of translation. Physical thing(usually round) to adjust input power, example - volume control). Any advise? It needs to be controlled manually or auto(from motherboard pins), handle 4-8(better 8) fans and supply power to the fans.
(so, actually I want two things - one is a monitor with buttons next-prev and that can show temperatures and flow rate, and the second one - fan hub with reobase)
2) I'm ready to land order, but I need heavy consultation about what I can miss in the order, because getting parts is quite hard in my country.

So, what I think I need :
1. CPU-380I Water Block . Seems to perform quite well
2. 4x120mm 30-FPI Copper Radiator. Also have a question - can it fit fans on both sides? So it actually can handle 8 fans?
3. PMP-500. Seems to have the best performance
4. Also I need a water block to my motherboard, but seems I need EK-FB KIT GA Z87X-OC - Acetal cause Koolance haven't got any solution for this(how about pack shipping? Cause it costs a fortune to ship only one item)
5. And a reservoir that can handle horizontal orientation and be filled easily that way(cause I don't have a lot of height because of the desk-case).

What else do I miss for those parts? Tubings, fittings, skrews?
PS sorry for not very well english, its the end of the day and I'm a bit tired...

Nadoedalo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Nadoedalo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

about monitors and fan hubs. Googled a bit, that is called front panels for PC, and used exactly for what I mentioned. But can it show flow, presure and water temperature? Does anybody know any? And can it control power supply for the pump(now I know that fan hub is just a part, control - are in that monitor).
So perfect monitor can :
1) Show temperatures on cpu and two gpu
2) Show liquid temperature
3) Show pressure and flow rate
4) Show fan and pump speed at least in % or just somehow indicate its state
5) Has 3(or 4) control points - pump, radiator fans that blow out, fans that blow in(may be two groups of those fans)
And about hub - what you can advise? Can they actually be controlled? That is a big question.

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”