Koolance exos 2.5 system flow issue

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...
triarii
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Koolance exos 2.5 system flow issue

Postby triarii » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi,

I have a koolance Exos 2.5 and the system appears to have a flow issue. for a about a minute after starting it I can see the flow meter spinning, then it slows and stops.

systems is [exos 2.5 -> SP2 quick disconnect -> CPU i7 4th gen -> R290x -> metal tube link -> R290x -> flowmeter -> quick disconnect back to Exos]

when the flow stops I hear the pump running. and it does respond [i hear it become louder] to changes in pump speed.

I assumed the issue was the quick disconnects, but after buying a new on and testing in both slots, the issue persists. all components are koolance brand, and the system uses koolance coolant, that has been changed once in the two year I have had the system.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

triarii

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Koolance exos 2.5 system flow issue

Postby Izerous » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 am

My first suspect would not be a flow issues but actually an issue with the flow meter itself they do have specific orientations for them to work properly etc.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

triarii
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby triarii » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:00 am

I checked is it the right direction. I had this issue when i installed the system. when placed backwards it just won't spin at all. here it spins for a minute then stops.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:10 am

-If it happens reliably enough boot up prime 95 and log out your CPU temperatures. Each time the flow meter stops your temperatures should jump, when it starts spinning again they should drop. If temperatures remain constant fluid is still flowing.

-With the QDC designs if they were closing off internally there would be signs of it metal/plastic shards etc as that is what it would take for them to close internally while still together.

-Does the pump actually get louder when this is happening, if the pump is cavitating for example it typically gets noticeably louder.

-The actual flow meter could also be failing internally binding internally preventing it from spinning. Have you tried flicking/bumping it when it stops
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

triarii
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby triarii » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:12 am

I have not though about that I'll give that I try.

triarii
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby triarii » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:57 pm

so more testing I found:

pinching the inbound or outbound line for 10 seconds and then releasing will get the pump to flow a few more seconds. after release the line the pump gets very louder, while it is loudest the flow is best, then it gets slower over the next 30-60 seconds as the pump becomes quieter. tilting the exos does not help, but pinching the line always gets the flow working again.

triarii
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby triarii » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 am

replaced the quick disconnects with regular angle joints and the problem was fixed. moral of the story don't buy quick disconnects.

Chingus
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Chingus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:30 am

I also have the same issue with flow. I am using an Exos 2 with an INS-FM16 with 2 quick disconnects In and out on the Exos also with a CPU and video block. The flow will slow so much that the heat is not moving to the rad quick enough. I removed the 2 cooling blocks I have in the loop and just connected the flow meter with the QDs in place. I was able to get 0.4 GPM. With the blocks in line i get 0.2 on the edge of 0.3 GPM. Obviously, the blocks create resistance to flow. The QDs are restricting the flow so little. BTW I love the QDs. Just a ml is released.

I feel that there is a priming loss happening. I ended up leaving a 1/4 space at the top of the reservoir. That seemed to help.
Another factor is that I bought the Exos on ebay...... I am not sure how it was treated/cared for.

Return to “Water Cooling Systems & Kits”