Using temp probe for Ambient temps

Complete water cooling systems (for example: Exos-2.5, PC5-1336, etc.)...

Using temp probe for Ambient temps

Postby Davabled » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm

My Koolance ERM-2K3U comes with 3 thermal probes. I'm only using 2 of them, so I thought I'd use the 3rd to monitor ambient air temps near the front of the case.

I've noticed, however, that it doesn't seem accurate. Comparing to an average thermometer, the Koolance's sensor will read at least 10*F higher.

I've tried moving the sensor to different locations, and I've also tried using metal tape to hold it down to the case.

Are these sensors just not accurate below a certain temp, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.
Davabled
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Using temp probe for Ambient temps

Postby TrickyGizmo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:02 am

I have a ERM-2K3U as well. I have the two probes measuring coolant temps both in and out and the last probe is internal in the front of the case to measure ambient temp. I'm monitoring air temps at the front of the case as well. When I first start my computer, the ambient probe is about 1/2 a degree within the reading of the thermometer in my room.

Of course, the probe reading goes up fairly quickly when the machine is on, but I'm not getting an initial reading of 10 degrees higher. My advice would be to check your room temperature before you start your ERM-2K3U, then see if your ambient temp at startup is the same as your sensor. After a few minutes, it would not at all be unusual for your ambeint temp in the computer to be 10 deg. higher than your room temperature.

If your startup temp is 10 degrees higher on your initial startup, then you have either a faulty probe, or a problem with the ERM-2K3U controller.

I'm curious, does your ERM-2K3U sometimes make a rattling noise?
TrickyGizmo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Davabled » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:08 am

TrickyGizmo wrote: My advice would be to check your room temperature before you start your ERM-2K3U, then see if your ambient temp at startup is the same as your sensor. After a few minutes, it would not at all be unusual for your ambeint temp in the computer to be 10 deg. higher than your room temperature.

Yep that's how I tested it. Even let the thermal probe danlge in the room right next to the thermometer.

TrickyGizmo wrote:I'm curious, does your ERM-2K3U sometimes make a rattling noise?

It did. Here's what I had to do:

Unscrew the 80mm fans on the back.
Adjust the wiring underneath the fans so it's not being squished, and so that the fans can lay flat.
Tighten the fans back on.

For me only 2 of the fans were rattling, I think it was the bottom two. I advise against just tightening them, since you might pinch the wires.
Davabled
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby TrickyGizmo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am

Davabled wrote:Yep that's how I tested it. Even let the thermal probe danlge in the room right next to the thermometer.

Sounds like you have a bad probe or controller, but since your other temps are fine, I suspect the probe. One way to test this is to disconnect the probe from sensor connector #3 and attach the probe to sensor connector #1 and then again on sensor connector #2. If you get wild readings on the other two connectors, then it is the probe, and not the controller.

As far as the rattling noise, in my case it was the two side fans, not the rear fans. About a week ago, it got so loud that I could not take anymore and resolved to fix it. It appears the silver bezels had a small gap between the fans and the grille. I took the bezels off and placed a small rubber spacer between the grille and bezel to eliminate the gap and no more loud rattling.
TrickyGizmo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Davabled » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:54 pm

It must be the sensor then, since it reads the same when connected to the other channels.

I was figuring it just wasn't accurate below a certain temp, or that the probe needed to be connected to something larger. I tried it with and without the protective rubber tube it comes it, but that didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully a Koolance tech can come in here and tell me if it's worthy of an RMA or not.
Davabled
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby TrickyGizmo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Davabled wrote:Hopefully a Koolance tech can come in here and tell me if it's worthy of an RMA or not.

Koolance is pretty good about the RMA process. And though the sensor is $4.50, you paid for it and it should work, so if I were in your shoes, I would RMA it. Luckily it's not monitoring any critical temps for you, so the RMA wait should not hang you up to badly.

The sensors are pretty fragile so when you get your replacement, I would recommend leaving it in the protective sleeve. In measuring an ambient temp, you'll get a more accurate ambient temp reading by isolating the sensor from airflow in the case

Good luck!
TrickyGizmo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bambihunter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm

I remember Koolance saying their probes could be a bit off, up to 10 degrees. Maybe they have factored that into the temp reading. I don't know... Just a thought...
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans
bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Postby Izerous » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm

For clarification, the reason readings can be up to 10'c is not the sensor itself. It is the positioning of the sensor. Ie temp probe stuck to you CPU block is only reading the surface temperature of the block itself. That surface temperature is usually within 10'c of the core temperature readings of the CPU. If you could plug the temp sensor into the CPU core it would give identical reading as core temp.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > 1100T > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 9.120 > return
32GB Ram
Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Return to Water Cooling Systems & Kits