Replacement O-Rings

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
Genisys
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Replacement O-Rings

Postby Genisys » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:47 am

I have a system that is about 6 or 7 years old now and it has run the stock Koolance fluid (changed 2 or 3 times) since I bought it.
I am currently experiencing multiple slow leaks from many of the fittings. Slow enough that the liquid evaporates and leaves a blue buildup around the connections.

I am going to assume at this point that the o-rings are the culprit and they should be replaced. I could go with EPDM rings which is what I think they came with or I could buy a set of some other material if I am going to take the time to do this. Would any other material be a better choice that EPDM? Maybe silicone, buna, or viton?

I guess that if EPDM lasted this long, I could replace and get another 6 years or so. By then the whole system will probably be failing...

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Replacement O-Rings

Postby Izerous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:18 pm

When my 8800GTS block started leaking I never did spend the time double checking what the originals were made out of. What I did was doubled check the ingredients of the coolants and the temperature tollarances of the various materials.

I went with EPDM because of those reasons.

And thinking about it I believe older Koolance parts used rubber and switched to EPDM in more recent years accross the product range.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”