What is the best way to put Tubing On?

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
char809
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

What is the best way to put Tubing On?

Postby char809 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:50 pm

I have a lot of water cooling components and when i tryed to put the tubing(3/8) on the MVR-40(MB VREG), GPU-200 it was hard. I didnt want to put a lot of pressure on the MVR-40 and the GPU-200 because then it would damage the motherbroad. I just want to know a good lenght of tubing that should go in to (3/8) compression nozzles barbs. The more you want the tubing to go on the compression barbs the more pressure you have to put into it ( higher chance of cracking your motherboard ) . Also the more tubing you have going on to the barb the less chance you have of leakage. Let me know whick is the proper lenght that a tubing should go up to. I no it should be all the way but is it necessary to go all the way? What is the best way to put the 3/8 tubing on without putting a lot of pressure on mobo?

Let me Know!

Superman
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Re: What is the best way to put Tubing On?

Postby Superman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:29 pm

pic#3 all the way on, for sure.
Doomsday Rig:
TJ10ESA 1200w Zeus
Evga 790i Ultra SLI
Qx6700,6850,9650,9770 4.4ghz-5.4ghz
OCZ 9-9-9-28 1.8v 2000mhz 2x1gb
Evga 9800gx2X2
BFG Ultra OC X2
150gb RaptorX6
Areca 1220 Raid 0
Xonar X2
QuadBoot xp'z-VistaUlt'z
Overclockaholics.com/forums

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Simple way around it don't push it on while it is connected to your MB. It's easier to position the block where it goes with the fittings attached. Cut your length of hose, pull the block out since it isn't mounted yet shove the hose one. Reposition the block and then secure the block. Then you never pushing on your MB in the first place.

EDIT: and always go with option 3.

Edit 2: When the above isn't possible I have an extra fitting i use to prestretch the hose a bit to reduce the pressure required to mount it.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Like Izerous I pre- assembled, attaching tubing to my blocks before mounting onto the mother board. Then I used quick disconnect valves to join the various sub- units together (e.g. radiator > m/f disc > cpu > m/f disc > gpu1 etc) The extra advantage of this approach is that it lets you quickly swap out your CPU cooler for example if you wish to upgrade without having to drain the whole system. You can also bypass a component if you later want to run a separate loop to it or insert another section if you add say an extra GPU to the loop. Just remember to always keep the sequence of male to female the same along the path so you don't find yourself trying to connect two tubes ending with the same gender. Finally, you can pre- fill the block before you even mount it. I did that before risking putting a brand new CPU 340 on an equally shiny QX9770. Peace of mind brother :)
Of course both Izerous and Superman are right (no surprises there, those guys are good :))that you have to push the tube all the way. Needle nose pliers inserted can open the tube up but take it easy. I found dipping the tube into some Koolance fluid helped too.

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Picture #3 is correct. Here's the process we use at our location. We have electric hotplates to do this, but a microwave will work just as well. Heat up a cup of water until it's hot, but not too hot to touch. Then dip the very last 1/8" of the hose into the water for about 5 seconds, and immediately slide it (wet) onto the nozzle.

It's considerably easier. Just don't dip too much of it into the water, or the whole thing will fold in on itself when you try to install it.

camivill
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby camivill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:22 pm

All the way, like picture 3.
Now i have pain on my finger tips as each one of them require quite lot of pushing to reach that point.

I have done 13, 10 and 6mm ones. the 6 enters smoothly, and the 10mm is the worst.
Now i saw some suggestion to use hot water to soft'em first. Should be easy that way. Still i dont want water to mess around my electronics.

I ahven't had any case of leaking on fittings so far in 2 years now ( changed system 3 times already), and each time i disconnect them, i cut and plug a new tight tube inside the fittings.

The igger issue i had was connected a 90 degree fittings into MVR-100 and MVR-40 on a sabertooth X58, which are positioned also in 90 degree angle, between the CPU370's tighting screw and the PSU, leaving very little space , using a 10mm tubing. It was a pin in the a**!

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Another way on getting the tubing onto the fitting is getting some pliers and stretching the ends out. Not a brilliant way but it is a way lol. Pic 3 for the win.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”