volume of various components?

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

volume of various components?

Postby gust334 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm new to liquid cooling and still collecting all the parts I need for my first build. The main Koolance web site has great pictures and diagrams and lots of data, but I can't find one thing I'm looking for: the coolant capacity of the various components. In other words, how many cc's does a given CPU block, GPU block, radiator, or tank hold? I don't think it is necessary to find volumes for nozzles and tees, but for the major components it would help give an idea about how much coolant to order.

computerguy
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: volume of various components?

Postby computerguy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:02 pm

From my experience ....I like to keep anywhere from two to Four bottles per computer build. As you pionted out there are a lot of factors involved with the quantity of fluid required for a build. Does you build include an external cooling device such as the Zalman resorvator? If so, there goes your four bottles plusmaybe a couple more. For a system like mine, I punched a hole thru the wall into the mud room. There I hid my aqurium pump, a, Zalman Resorvator, and a 1/10th HP Aquarium chiller. All of this returns thru the wall and goes in series past my AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor and thru the two BFG Tech Watercooled GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Cards. I used all Koolance tubing connectors and temp probs to monitor temperature using the KOOLANCE Model TMS-100K TMS Interface Card & Software. Finally, after buying two of these KOOLANCE Model TMS-100K TMS Interface Cards last year, I can install them. For the past year or more they were useless and had been collecting dust on my shelf because at the time there wasn't any driver avalible for it to work on Windows Vista 64-bit, which is what I put on all of my computers.I'm still working on that part.
My advice is keep it simple and try and not overthink it. Even if you had all of the calculations you may still have overlooked something else. If you ever created a grocery list, you know that 9 times out of 10 you forgot to get something. Go with what you know, you can always order more.
I do have one recomendation, make sure to use a non-conductive product. Check around at the prices too like at Moddersmart.com, Xioxde.com, CrazyPC.com. performance-pcs.com and of course Koolance.com.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:28 am

As computer guy said a couple spare bottles are always good. My system takes under just 1 full liter leaving just a bit in the bottom of the feser1 bottles I have been buying latly. If it spill some or tip the bottole over or something stupid like that I would need a second bottle. SO always buy a couple extra. Also frozencpu.com is also a good supplier for other liquid products
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

R3APER
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby R3APER » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:49 pm

I also used just under 1 litre i have three rads 2 duel and 1 single, cpu block, nb, sb, and ram + the voltage regs i used the Koolance RP1000BK which is also full its probably a good idea to get a second litre just for spare for all the reasons the guy said above this post plus over time the coolant will naturally start to go down anyway so its good to have spare just to top up the resevoir.

gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby gust334 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks all for the responses. For anybody's reference, the combination of an Exos 2.5, a 1300ATX PSU, and about 10' of 3/8" hose used up all but the last half-inch or so of the first 700mL bottle of coolant.

Also, when first running the Exos, I had a lot of air circulating in the loop until I raised the left side of the Exos about 1/2 inch; that little change seemed to make a profound difference.

gust334
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby gust334 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Consistent with R3APER and Izerous, my finished system is about 900mL. The 1300ATX and 10' of hose combined to be about 200mL, which means the Exos 2.5 heat exchanger and reservoir combined are about 450mL. Adding a flow meter, the CPU340, CH125, CH122, two VID-428, and two MV40s finished the first bottle and went about 200mL into the second.

So, I guess the real answer to my original thread is that the heat exchangers and reservoirs are the big volume components, and everything else is negligible. It still might be nice to see some sort of volume indication for the Koolance radiators on the website.

camivill
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby camivill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 pm

It will be good to have a volumen formula to calculate the amount that will circulate in the system. Is that somewhere to find?

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Their is no formula the reason being is every loop is different and it will be nearly impossible to calculate how much a loop needs. The best way to calculate is buying more bottles you think you need cause most of the time you will need that extra bottle. If you have a large loop and you think you need 2 bottles you better buy 3 cause best bet you will hit into that third bottle and will be glad you bought that bottle. So making a formula is impossible just use the brain and go with your gut instinct. Or just ask on here
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”