All not well in QDC land....[QDC manufacturing problem?!?]

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
miahallen
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

All not well in QDC land....[QDC manufacturing problem?!?]

Postby miahallen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 am

After seeing a couple posts at OCN and Koolance own forums about Koolance Quick Disconnect leaking problems...I knew my experience was not isolated.
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/1080039-koolance-no-leak-qdcs-leaking-everywhere.html?highlight=qdc
http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1724 (post #3)

I now have 10 males and 8 female QDC VL3N series quick disconnections used in various applications. The first set I bought about two years ago, the females are still working fine today. However, I recently bought a bunch of new sets, and the new female connectors have all failed. To be clear....the new connectors worked fine for the first few months over dozens of connect/disconnect operations. But now, the spring loaded mechanism meant close the valve in the female end no longer closes completely, allowing the connection to drip when disconnected (see the images below).

edit - I have verified the problem is not related to low loop pressure.

I suspect a minor change in manufacturing that is causing the long term failure of these parts. [url="http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1467"]Tim [Koolance] eluded to a change in manufacturing tolerances last year (post #8)[/url].

If I am correct, Koolance should issue a recall on these parts. In the mean time, be sure to check your connections within the 1 year warranty period and get RMA replacements if yours connectors are showing similar problems. If you are already outside the warranty period, please be careful with your connectors when breaking your systems down to prevent leaking on your HW ;)

Here is a shot of my older QDC, both female fittings have been serving me well for about two years now.

Here is a shot of the newer QDC failing to seal properly....all of my newer female QDC fitting do this consistently now.

Also, I need your comments please, let us know if you have older/newer QDC fittings, and whether or not you've seen similar issues.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: All not well in QDC land....[QDC manufacturing problem?!

Postby Izerous » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Mine did not do that, all the seals failed on the newer ones, but all the springs still work.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

miahallen
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby miahallen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 pm

BTW, I've already posted this at several other forums I frequent...here are the other threads:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... g-problem-!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... p?t=684482
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1630311
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/ ... lance.html

There is a pretty decent discussion going at XS with quite a few people sharing their experiences, worth a look if you're interested.

I'd really like to here some official comment on the manufacturing changes made.

buzzard31581
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby buzzard31581 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:16 am

I'm getting ready to revamp my entire cooling system minus the blocks and was considering using the threaded QDC's on all the parts of my loop (rads, res, pump, blocks) to make disassembly, replacement and moving of components easier. Now with this post and a few others I've seen, I'm reconsidering just going with the standard barb fittings. The convenience isn't worth the possible damage to my system.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am

Buzz the compression fittings are far superior to the plain barbed fittings, if you have room for the fittings.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree with Iz the problem with barbed is if you don't have it tight enough the liquid will get in between the barb and hose, and in time will start leaking and eventually pop off. With compression you will have that tight seal for a long time without any problems. The only thing you will have to keep a steady eye on is the o ring and every once in a while a new seal for the tubing.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

miahallen
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby miahallen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm disappoint Koolance appears to be ignoring this issue.

If any staff is reading this, you owe it to your company to have a look through the threads in the links I posted. THIS IS NOT an isolated issue ;)

I've now observed this on my male connections as well.

Levesque
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Levesque » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 am

Sigh. I was really afraid after reading this. This morning, I had to drain/refill my loops, and guess what? 6 pairs of VL4N, and all have the same leaking problem with the plunger not fully retracting!!!

I have 14 pairs of VL3N and they all seems to be ok. But my 6 pairs of VL4N are leaking with the plunger not fully retracting! :evil:

REALLY annoying. Useless disconnect, since they don't work.

I really hope Koolance will do a recall or something. There is something not working with those VL4N. VL3N seems to be ok.

Now I really regret investing money in all those Koolance QDC.

Raul-7
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Raul-7 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:52 am

I also have this problem on both my females connectors. One leaked within 3 months of use and the second about 10 months later. They really need to look into this.

angrybutcher
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby angrybutcher » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Same issue here. I have 6 VL3N (3 male, 3 female) and the two females that are installed have this issue. The other set is used for draining purposes and have not been hooked up full time.

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”