Discolored Tubing

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
Broadsword
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Discolored Tubing

Postby Broadsword » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 am

Yip - only 1 System of 3 running. highly likely that the tubing is from one batch only and other people (friends, etc) may have got some of the same batch. I have contacted as many others as possible and so far everybody says theirs is okay (2 have broken down and rebuilt themselves so unk their) I boiled an old piece and a new piece for 3 days (on and off in a ketle - I got very distorted tube pieces but color remained, i.e. old = discolored, new = okay/clear.

I will try and get a rad back tomorrow and try the vinegar trick and see what comes out. I tried everything on one rad (not vinegar) and it was always clear. The other I left untouched (maybe the untouched one I leave with the lab) it is marked.

Broadsword
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Broadsword » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:02 am

Report Back - The lab reports the tube composition is slightly different although they cannot seem to tell me what the difference is, but they do say the discoloring is not due to FLUX or due due chemical reaction of coolant - they believe the discoloring is internal to the tubing itself - I give up. It is only this one PC and it was (I only have) all Koolance tubing.

I have now built another rig using only the GTX 480's from this rig. Everything else is new and the entire cooling is Koolance - Except for two nickel EK RAM Blocks (No real purpose just asthetically look good - be nice if Koolance made some - I hate cleaning fans on Memory, they never clean nicely... ever.)

It is another dual loop and clocking now at 4.5 gig, ram at 2 gig and working everday stuff for 2 weeks now. We will see what happens with the tubing (I used the tubing at the bottom of the box) and I have flushed the Rads and everything else repeatedly before building. Arms in the air head lolling about - I give up trying to find out why just this one rigs tubing went doen the tubes :-)

Gromrok
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Gromrok » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 am

I realize I am resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to say that I have the exact issue that Broadsword has! You are not alone! I have isolated the problem to the tubing itself. I have my unit built in a Corsair Air 540 case with the piping running through to a pump and reservoir in the back of the case. My tubing on the front side has turned a dark brown, but the tubing on the back of the case is still 90% clear. It is clearly a heat exposure issue with the piping itself. Will post up photos in a moment here via Imgur.

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”