recomended od size for 3/8 tubing

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
dorianny
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

recomended od size for 3/8 tubing

Postby dorianny » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am

Koolance recommends a 3/8 inner diameter tubing pointing out that 1/2 id tubing has negligible effects on performance.
Should I go with 1/2 od (1/16 thick) or 5/16 od (1/8 thick), 3/8 id tubing.
From what I have read, it seems thicker walls generally provides better kink resistance however this largely depends on the hardness of the material. A very hard thick material will actually kink faster than a very hard thinner material.
Some also express concerns on the effect of fittings on the thinner material.
what size od do you recommend.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: recomended od size for 3/8 tubing

Postby Izerous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm

dorianny wrote:Some also express concerns on the effect of fittings on the thinner material.

Honestly I have been using 3/8ID 1/2OD since since I started with liquid cooling (and some 1/4ID x 3/8OD on really early builds). And for simplicity 3/8-1/2 is the easiest to work with...

But your quoted comment above makes me curious to what your referring to. The only side effect to thin walled tubing on a fitting I can think of is that the end becomes flared when you take the loop apart as the barbs it sits on is always a bit bigger than the actual inner diameter. Clip the end reuse the tube or use a new section and poof done.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”