Koolance consistently leaks.

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
witchbutter
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Koolance consistently leaks.

Postby witchbutter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm so sick of Koolance stuff leaking. I've become so accustomed to leaks occuring in my koolance builds that I've begun using silicone bathtub caulk at various joints I think might be a problem. Every single quick disconnect and right angle fitting I have purchased leaked, and I've thrown them all away. Every build where I've used the PMP-450 leaks, which is using the RP-452x2 and COV-RP450 and even after replacing gaskets etc, the only thing which prevented leaks was sealing the joint with silicone. I've also had CPU-350AC which leaks and 2 GTX-470 vid blocks that seeped liquid out of the bolts which I had to take apart and glue back together to get them to stop leaking.

I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problems and how they deal with them?
Intel Xeon E3-1275 V2
ASUS P8BWS
2x Radeon 7970 HD Crossfire
4x8GB Crucial 1600 ECC
OCZ Vector 256 GB & Samsung 830 256 GB
Corsair HX1000W
CPU370, 2xVIDAR797, RP-452x2, 2xPMP-450, 2x140 rad, 2x120 rad

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Koolance consistently leaks.

Postby Izerous » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 am

The first batch of QDC fittings had issues in part to the design and in part to the original materal the orings were made from. They changed the materials and offered a RMA replacements if you had purchased within a year. I didn't have an issue with the even earlier non-no leak versions like what was built into the PSU-1200 for example or the original KIT-1000. Never had a CPU block leak but I have had the VID-280 blocks leak.

To fix the QDC's because I went over a year I was able to fix the external rings by going to a local shop, and they gave me handfuls of different sizes for only a couple dollars. Went home and mixed and matched them in place to get a proper seal. However the internal seals were still bad and I never had tried to take them apart.

The 90's fittings I kept for parts and intent to take apart when I'm bored (although i said that like 6 years ago)

The VID-280 cards replacement rings are not available through Koolance anymore but there are more than 3 local companies that can get them for me in Viton, Rubber, or EPDM.

It really isn't hard to track down companies can either supply or make the o-rings, even if Koolance doesn't stock them any more.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Just be careful on what o rings you get they might be the same size but once the QDCs are connected they might lock up and won't be able to get them free.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Maverick Wolfe
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Maverick Wolfe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:15 am

I've never had a single problem with stuff leaking, Of Course I don't typically use QDC and when I tested the ones I did have I had ZERO problems with them during testing. I prefer to use the barbs and automotive worm clamps along with 1/2" Primochill tubing. I highly suggest you ensure it's not user error even though you state you've built many of the systems. I mean no disrespect or insult to you here but it has been my experience that if it leaks it wasn't tightened down correctly or the tubing was of the wrong OD thickness. This is usually always the case. FYI am not new to the forums I no longer have access to my old email and have an account from 2008 or so when I first began upgrading my original system with Koolance parts.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:56 am

Most of the time it's user error but sometimes it's not. Good example, I bought some 90 degree compressions a while back and when the system was completed made sure everything was tightened. Went to turn the system on and the 90 degree compression was leaking bad, I thought I didn't tighten it but it was. Took it off and there was a small crack which lead to the leak. Since then no more 90 degree fittings lol only 45 which are just nice. But most of the times it is user error so it's always best to double and triple check before turning the system on and then keeping maintenance every 6 months to a year for best results.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

nexxusty
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby nexxusty » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 am

Just bought 3 double/triple rotary fittings from Koolance. Tried TWICE installing into my loop with leaks at multiple joints.

While all my Bitspower fittings are fine. The Koolance fittings swivel much too easily. Next time I'll know if they swivel with little to no force they're going to leak.

Either way, 3 different fittings from Koolance, all leak. Won't be purchasing Koolance products after this. Plus I've been screened for two posts already on this forum for talking about the poor quality of Koolance fittings.

Wouldn't be surprised if this never made it to this thread.....

[Koolance] Todd

Postby [Koolance] Todd » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:00 am

Hi Nexxusty,

Our fittings should definitely not be leaking. We haven't heard of this problem from other users of our rotary fittings. What kind of liquid are you using? Do the fittings have a batch number on them? Is there a lot of tension applied to the fittings? Can you send pictures of how they're installed?

In regards to the screening, for new users we require a minimum number of posts to be approved by a moderator before they're able to post freely on the forums, in an effort to prevent spam.

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”