Leak sensors catch fire

Fittings, nozzles, quick-disconnects, speed controllers, power supplies, & everything else...
Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Leak sensors catch fire

Postby Mik » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:59 am

I bought the new leak sensor with all three leads attached. Shortly after my system developed a small leak (not detected by the sensors as they were placed elsewhere). I used one of the sensor leads as a detector trying to find the source of the leak. At one point this left it immersed in a droplet of fluid resulting in the expected alarm signal. What I didn't expect was smoke as the probe wire melted through its insulation. This happened after around 10 seconds or less (I couldn't see the source of the smoke straight away). Thinking I may have had a bad wire I attempted a fix on the leak and attached a new wire. The probe shorted on a metal fitting and once again I had a smoke incident, this time within 5 seconds.
I have removed the sensor system from my computer. If others find the alarm sounding I strongly recommend you power down IMMEDIATELY (pull the plug). I was lucky the case was open and I could see and smell the smoke. This device is dangerous

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Leak sensors catch fire

Postby Ace0751 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Contact koolance about this issue if you haven't already, it may have been a bad batch. I don't own this product just giving my suggestion.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

[Koolance] Todd

Postby [Koolance] Todd » Mon May 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi Mik,

Were you using the yellow sleeved leak sensing cable or the black extension wire? Can you post or send us pictures?

It sounds like you may have used the leads on the ends of either wire which would have caused a short. The leak detection takes place along the yellow sleeving.

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Fri May 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi Todd,

I attached the black leads to the sensor unit and yellow wires to the black leads. I removed the white plastic caps from the free ends of the yellow wires as I did not need to concatenate them.
If I read your comment correctly you are saying that I should reattach the plastic end caps to prevent shorting across the exposed wires, correct?
If that will fix the problem then that's fine. The burned out wires are already in the trash, I can add replacements to an order I have pending.

Please confirm that I have understood your advice correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Fittings, Nozzles, Quick-Disconnects, Misc.”