HD-60/HDC2-A01 Thermal Encapsulate handling

Hard Drive & RAM water cooling blocks...
> Evil E. <
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

HD-60/HDC2-A01 Thermal Encapsulate handling

Postby > Evil E. < » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 am

What's the best method to handle the 2-component thermal encapsulate that is shipped with these Hard Disk cooling solutions :
I noticed that the 2 separate compounds seem to be rather "solid" in their original (unmixed) state, so I was wondering if there is something that I could do to make them a little more "fluid" so that they would be easier to mix/handle...
Would the components be easier to work with if I would warm up the bi-packs in hot water, for instance ? Or is there another way to make the 2 compounds easier to handle ?

omegastitch
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Re: HD-60/HDC2-A01 Thermal Encapsulate handling

Postby omegastitch » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 am

have you tried to knead the bags? kind of like you would do with a mustard packet?
omegastitch

If ignorance is bliss, please let me die unhappy.

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:40 am

Putting the packs in hot water might work; they are more pliable in warmer weather. I wouldn't mix anything into them. Use a strong spoon and don't worry about mixing them together perfectly.

NMS
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby NMS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:19 pm

I have 3 WD Caviar black 1TB drives. If you are familiar with this drive, the PCB is only 1/3 the size of the drive with some deep pitts around the center spindle area. It doesn't seem there is enough encapsulate to cover the bottom of the drive. Does this stuff expand when it dries?

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

I have now installed two sets of Hdds using the Thermal Encapsulate packets. I placed both bags in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes and then cut the 4 sides off each package and scraped the material into a small mixing bowl and must say with RSI in both hands was difficult but I mixed both packets to ONE colour. My Hdds of choice were 3 x 1.5 Tb Barracuda 7200 rpm by Seagate and the fourth was a 1.0 Tb Seagate Barracuda. I tried the first Hdd to mix in my hands which worked the best but was stuck with sticky fingers lol. I cut a small bit of drinking straw and placed it over the breathing hole of each drive whilst my drafted wife (LOL sorry Trina) iced the cake as it were. She made fantastic customized birthday cakes for both of our daughters through the years and conned her into this idea that she was best suited. After the Thermal Encapsulated is spread over and yes the Barracuda have only 33% PCB whilst the rest of the area is like a swimming pool I had just enough to do the job which I then mounted the steel backing and attached to the water block. I waited as I did a lot of Modding to this computer and had the time allowed the material to cure in 8 days. I then removed each Hdd and steel backing so that I could clean off the excess and polish up the drives and of course reclaiming the straws that did their jobs wonderfully by keeping the breathing hole clear of Encapsulate.

To sum up yes it is a messy job, Yes BambiHunter my friend the data and power cables are on opposite sides. I solved the ugliness of this by using some UV Blue exact fitting Sata Cables and a high end PSU with nice sleeving which I replaced all the boring connectors with UV Blue ones. With plenty of UV lights inside the chassis and using Crucial Ballistix Tracer Ram with the Blue overall LEDs and half Red (read) and half Green (write) LEDs the extra cables is just another reflective light and adds to the delight of showing off the insides. All customed wiring was done using UV coloured wiring. I don't have a window on this chassis as it is the bedroom HTPC but the door opens from the top and drops straight down so that you can have a good look inside. That door has acoustic foam on the insides so that you cannot hear the hard drives make any noise which is the why to now nice AC Ryan window.

The Hdd temps in other computers I own are between 39 and 45 whilst one with silent boxes with heat piping hit 50c. These four drives cooled by Hdd Koolance HD 60 with second drive kit hits 32 C doing an extensive file search on each drive at the same time where as the others are under normal operating conditions. A fantastic solution. Highly recommended.

Hopes this answered your question.

Return to “Water Blocks - Hard Drive & Memory”