Advice about Corsair Dominator

Hard Drive & RAM water cooling blocks...
wizard65
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Advice about Corsair Dominator

Postby wizard65 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:05 am

I am using corsair dominator, and was wondering if anyone had any experience about the ease with which the heat spreaders can be removed? The fins on top are secured by three screws going down into the top of the heat spreader. After the fins are removed, will the spreaders come away easy or are that attached in a way that makes it impossible to remove without damaging the modules themselves?

I am happy enough to take my time and do it slowly if it is possible, if it isn't possible, would prefer not to try, and wait to add the RAM cooling until I upgrade the RAM and can then get something with removable spreaders.

GoNz0
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Re: Advice about Corsair Dominator

Postby GoNz0 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 pm

do not do it, they are chemically bonded on and can (and have done lots of times) pull the ram chips off the board.

wizard65
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby wizard65 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll leave them for now. When I upgrade the RAM, I'll hunt around for something that has easily removable heat spreaders.

HELLFIRETOYZ
Tactical Bucket Splasher
Tactical Bucket Splasher

Postby HELLFIRETOYZ » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:21 pm

I've found the best way to pull the heatsinks off the Dominator and similar modules is to use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol. Letting them soak in an alcohol bath for several hours will dissolve the bonding agents. With this method I have never had any chips pulled off the modules.
Hellfire - multi-mission, and multi-target precision-strike capability weapon system, "fire-and-forget!"

BFG GTX285 OC'd 3-Way Blocked
Asus P6T7 SuperComputer Blocked
i7 920 @ 4.21Ghz Blocked
Corsair DDR3 1600 - 6Gb
OCZ Vortex SSD 120

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:06 am

If you want to use the Corsair H30 block you can simply remove the fins from the top of the modules and sit the block on top. It's not as elegant as the Koolance system in terms of direct cooling but I've used it for months with no problems.If you want to use the Koolance RAM blocks you could check out OCZ memory as they tend to come apart without drama.

GoNz0
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby GoNz0 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 am

with it being memory the block ontop method would work very well for cooling the modules rather then voiding the lifetime warranty you get with corsair, my cooling fan kicks in at 50 degrees at 50% and cools them back to 30 in under a minute so it does not take much to keep them cool.

Return to “Water Blocks - Hard Drive & Memory”