RAM-33 - 6xDDR3 Parallel Ideas

Hard Drive & RAM water cooling blocks...
Crankyhobo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

RAM-33 - 6xDDR3 Parallel Ideas

Postby Crankyhobo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 pm

The problem with your with suggested overlapping design for RAM33 using CNT-MEAU is that too restrictive to send water through each module sequentially in any serious loop. Even though it's G1/4 the restrictiveness is clear with the transition at the connector from a circle to a slot, which looks like 1/4 tube in volume can pass through.

This leaves me (and no doubt others) trying to figure out how to send water through in parallel. With no good 6-way splitter option on the market aside from clunky manifolds. There are a number of obvious ways but pulling it off in an elegant way becomes very difficult.

I've been trying to figure out if i can make a 4-rail design using koolance parts like this image below illustrates. The dimensions may not be exact because you haven't published the documentation or diagrams for the RAM-33 but i think its pretty close. RAM-33 -> CNT-ME0 -> NZL-LXG2 with CNT-ME0 between. It doesn't look like it will work because of the CNT-ME0 overlap on the rails - is there any chance you could try to assemble it with parts in house and let me know? :)

Another idea is to use bits power crystal tubes to create 4 rails at two different heights to avoid the overlapping fittings. Or to use a 6 way NPT manifold (something like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PNEUMA ... Pid=search) to split 1/2 tube into 6 1/4 tubes and route those into each of the ram fittings. Yet another idea is to split 1/2 tube into 3 and then use CNT-MEAU to go through two ram modules each.
Last edited by Crankyhobo on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Koolance] Tim

Re: RAM-33 - 6xDDR3 Parallel Ideas

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

You're right on the restriction, we suggest splitting multiple RAM-33 blocks into parallel paths on higher flow systems. There's not enough space between DIMMs to make a wider flow path because we actually run coolant over the memory modules. So, nominal flow through one RAM-33 is similar to 1/4" ID. Placing them into parallel paths for 3/8" or 1/2" ID is better for 3LPM+ loops.

We've got someone working on your fitting suggestion to see if it can fit. Great diagram. :)

[Koolance] Todd

Re: RAM-33 - 6xDDR3 Parallel Ideas

Postby [Koolance] Todd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 pm

The NZL-LXG2 doesn't appear to be applicable to this because it can only be used to form right angle G 1/4 sockets. It's impossible to use it as a 3-way nozzle. We tried using ADT-XUTX4 in place of the NZL-LXG2 but it appears too large.

The minimum distance between two RAM-33 using two ADT-XUTX4 and a CNT-ME0 is about 16mm. Using a CNT-MEAU allows a minimum distance of about 11mm.

Return to “Water Blocks - Hard Drive & Memory”