Corsair gets wet? (Dominator GT + RAM-35)

Hard Drive & RAM water cooling blocks...
Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Corsair gets wet? (Dominator GT + RAM-35)

Postby Mik » Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 am

Has anybody out there got experience with this https://shop.corsair.com/store/item_view.aspx?id=833087 ? They talk about the new Dominator GT modules having removable fins. Anybody tried that? If this is the real deal it could be very interesting. I'd also be very keen to learn if the removable fin modules are compatible with the Koolance RAM 35 blocks.

LaughingMonkey
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Corsair gets wet? (Dominator GT + RAM-35)

Postby LaughingMonkey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 am

I just got Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1866C9DF 6gig kit and there appears to be 3 screws on the top edge that look like they are what is holding the heat sink on. It is a funny shaped screw not a hex or a torx that I could not get off without using a pair of plyers and potentaily damaging it.

I am not at the point of cooling my RAM (Yet) but maybe if they do come off it would be nice to complete my water cooling build.

I will take picture and maybe someone else can see how to get the screws out.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.
Exos-2.5, CPU-345AC, VID-NX295, MB-EVX58CF, MVR-100/MVR-PLTEV104,TMS-200,TMS-EB200

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 am

Looking at the physical design of those corsair coolers, the nozzle placement is horrid and may cause a lot of incompatibility issues. I do like however what it notes and when I got for my next set of ram will definitely be looking for the ones with the removable fins since I have been using corsair for a while now.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 am

Well, I got the H30 block (Corsair tech support advises against the T30 TEC cooling version due to high humidity at my tropical location). The fins come off alright with a small allen key which comes with the kit. The nozzles are adjustable which helps but mounting the block on top of the memory chips is ridiculously fiddly and not a job I want to do often. So the good news is that Dominator GT chips can be water cooled. The bad news is that with Corsair going into the cooling business they have zero incentive to make removable heat spreaders so the RAM33 blocks won't be an option for the foreseeable future. That's a pity because I think the Koolance block would produce a better result since it covers the whole module rather than lying on the top of the spreaders.

Return to “Water Blocks - Hard Drive & Memory”