Installing Ram-33 help (not staying on)

Hard Drive & RAM water cooling blocks...
kamakazninja
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Installing Ram-33 help (not staying on)

Postby kamakazninja » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Can someone please inform me on how exactly to install the cooling blocks onto the ram. I cannot seem to get them to stay on well.

Bravoexo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Installing Ram-33 help

Postby Bravoexo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 pm

So it's the RAM-33 into the block?

Ok, first, are your sticks single sided or dual? So you use the thermal pads. Then you slip them on. Loosen the nuts on top so that the retention clips are wide open. (well, as open as you can).

Then slide them into the slot. Be sure the clips of the dimm slots clip on the dimm first when you press them in. Then tighten the nuts on top, so that the retention clips of the RAM-33 blocks clip on the outside of those white retention clips of the dimm slot.

[Koolance] Dean

Re: Installing Ram-33 help

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 am

Bravoexo wrote:So it's the RAM-33 into the block?

Ok, first, are your sticks single sided or dual? So you use the thermal pads. Then you slip them on. Loosen the nuts on top so that the retention clips are wide open. (well, as open as you can).

Then slide them into the slot. Be sure the clips of the dimm slots clip on the dimm first when you press them in. Then tighten the nuts on top, so that the retention clips of the RAM-33 blocks clip on the outside of those white retention clips of the dimm slot.

only thing I'll add is that for double sided ram you may not need to use any thermal pad. :)

marhleet
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Installing Ram-33 help (not staying on)

Postby marhleet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:04 pm

ahuh. the pic I saw somewhere of a ram module with the gel packs loose in it
wondered what they were for
m'k
so the mem module would then cope ok with single sided and double sided

I have xeon server ram which is double/double sided
two chips each side of the board piggy backed
2gb ram sticks in (insert server acronym here) bit thingy, dang it's late in the morning
anyhoo, i got the 4 x 2gb sticks in my Tyan S2723
and it boots as 8gb and linux loads it ok
will the ram-33 work (looks easier than the ram-35)

Jguy
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Jguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 am

-1 for koolance not having an instruction booklet with the RAM-33.

I've always liked using koolance due to their easy and not engrish-y instructions.

So....how in the world do you use these RAM-33's? I have single sided RAM, so do I put the thermal pad on the side with or without the chips?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

dutchman
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:44 am

Did you ever find an answer to this? I just got my RAM-33's and Google can't tell me how to apply the thermal strip. I'm guessing it goes on the side without the chips to help press the chips into the other side. If so, should i apply thermal grease to the chip side? Anyone?

dutchman
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:15 am

Ok, so it seems its a thermal pad, so its supposed to go on the chip side to transfer heat to the block. I assume that you peel the clear film and attach the pad directly across the RAM chips. On the other side of the pad is pink cloth-like "stuff". Can I assume this is supposed to be left on? Should I apply any thermal grease to this to help it maintain good contact with the ram-33? Any help would be appreciated.

guivici
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby guivici » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 am

hello everybody and escuse me for my poor english
i buy four ram-33 i think the good installation for double face of chips memory is to make thermal pads in both side so i think i'm gonna buy some thermal pads to do this

[Koolance] Todd

Postby [Koolance] Todd » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:01 am

As far as thermal pad installation goes for the RAM-33, first, any stock heat sinks should be removed. Sometimes it's not possible, in which case the RAM is incompatible with the RAM-33.

You should use the thermal strip if you have chips only on one side of the module. The film should be peeled off of the white side, and the pink side faces the chips. If you have chips on both sides, then you don't need (and probably don't have enough space) to use the thermal padding. Thermal paste is not necessary either, though I don't think it would hurt.

808MP5
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby 808MP5 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 pm

just installed mine on 4 sticks of crucial ballistics DDR3

ram modules was double sided... the included thermal pad was not necessary...
after removing the stock heat spreaders from the ram modules... the ram modules slided right in...
though the ram modules slided right in there was very little contact with the ram blocks...
i then peeled off the stock thermal pads that were still stuck to the stock heat spreaders and applied them to the memory modules...
lined the ram modules up with the ram-33 blocks evenly... then continued to press the ram modules into the ram-33 blocks... a bit of force had to be applied because it was a very tight fit... i even had to pry one slightly open to fit one or my ram modules...
all in all... i got them on and installed on the board

Return to “Water Blocks - Hard Drive & Memory”