800D + i7 + 470GTX Build Log

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

800D + i7 + 470GTX Build Log

Postby thor1182 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:56 am

So last night I was finally able to start unboxing and assembling my new rig to replace my last Koolance system that died. First out of the box was the case. Come to find out that the CPU backplate door that the case has was broken. While irritating, its not that big of a deal seeing how its more of a cosmetic thing anyways.

Then comes time to open up the Koolance box I find that when I was going back and forth on what to buy I ended up with 6 120 fans... oops... Having spares for the 3 120 rad will come in handy down the road I guess.

Do some other futzing around to find out that I need another set of elbow nozzles for the 1 x 140 radiator I have to allow it to connect. Its going to be somewhat cramped in that lower zone with the bigger 1k power supply and the radiator, but I think I can make it work.

*edit* inline sensor does come with correct plug count*edit*

The other thing I discovered is that the screws they sent with the radiators are not long enough to mount a fan and a radiator to a case. Anyone have anything they used to mount the radiators and fans that worked best?
Last edited by thor1182 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: 800D + i7 + 470GTX Build Log

Postby thor1182 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

Made a trip to Lowes and bought longer screws and trimmed them to the size I needed... or as close as I could with a few throw a-ways with a Dremel.

Here is a picture looking up at the radiator with the elbow nozzles.

Looking down at the koolance 120 LED fans

Inside with the newly mounted radiator and the RP-1000BK in place.

When I got looking at the pump I realized that the in and outs are on the opposite sides from what I was originally planning, but I am not sure it matters.

thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby thor1182 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 pm

More Pics

Picture of the Video card after water block install. Getting the factory block off was a chore.

All the major hardware is installed, just need to start connecting the tubing

Some of the tubing starting to go in. As I go I have found things are not working out in practice as well as they did in my head. I wanted to make sure the pump has slack to be able to pull it out to fill it, but when its put back in its place, the slack bunches up funny.I bought some wrapping and have been only using enough to cover the problem spots. I am wondering if it would look better if I got more to wrap it completely.

closer view of the CPU - QDC - GPU - QDC section. This section also did not go as well as I hoped. If I removed the QDC's it would look better and make the tubing easier, but would defeat the whole idea of making the GPU easier to swap in and out when it came time for upgrades. The DQC's are rather long and make placing them in certain spots problematic.

Picture of the connection to the lower radiator.

At this point I wonder if some angle and elbow joints would have been helpful in places to make certain areas easier to route the water through.

thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby thor1182 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 pm

For a point of reference this is my old PC7xx case
What a rats nest. This case has seen 4 different processors, 2 motherboards, and 2 different graphics configurations.

Still a rats nest, but at least its going to be hidden.

Stingray
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby Stingray » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 am

Nice, just finished a build myself with the 800D. Think I'm gonna have that case for a long time.

thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby thor1182 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 am

Got the missing pieces to complete the water loop yesterday and was able to finally get the system set up.

pic of the running system with the panel off.

So far so good with the exception of noise levels from that back fan. Will have to get more pics when I am more awake. All the other ones I took where a bit blurry.

Stingray
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby Stingray » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 pm

What/how are you controlling your fans?

thor1182
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby thor1182 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 am

The radiator fans are connected to the pump-reservoir unit via a 4 fan cable splitter that you can get form Koolance. The rest of the case fans are connected to the MB.

Return to “DIY and Modding”