Classefied SR2 build for discussion and tweaking.

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
HOSH
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Classefied SR2 build for discussion and tweaking.

Postby HOSH » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 am

Ok where to begin, was looking at doing this without the classified board, but still in final discussion phase on single or dual CPU. This may turn into a VM machine after done gaming with it in 3-5 years, but it will run VM,s also in the background. (I am turning my old Core 2Extreme 3.0 Quad w/ 8GB ram and GTX 275 into a DL/VM server box. I am using the Corsair H50 cooler to get 20% OC and my GTX 275 is factory OC'ed.)

The current build looks like this: EVGA Classified 2 MOBO, 2/3X GTX 470 in 3-way/2-way SLI, 2X Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz LGA 1366 80W, 120 GB OCZ Revo PCI Express HDD main, SATA III Velociraptor 600 GB data drive, PCI Express Highpoint card for Raid 5 2.72 TB storage drive array, Ram, hmm, they recommended some DDR3 2000 but need to find ones that have removable heat sinks 12 GB/CPU - 24 GB total. Yes it will have 3 monitors in surround and maybe 3D, but that is still a debate. Case is below:

Mountain Mods Ascension Case: currently looking at: standard front, 10 PCI back, big window on sides, Cutout top for the 2X EHX-1320SL units, 2nd PSU for filling/testing/backup.
http://www.mountainmods.com/images/imag ... IONCYO.jpg

The 6X RAM-35 built to the manual specs for best possible flow in parallel setup. HD-57 mounted between every 2 HDD on the back side where I am planning on splitting the 10mm to 2X 6mm for the HDD's coolers. I think I read somewhere they suggested this, but can not find it at hand.

Plan A: 2 Loop system hooking them up to the TMS-200 w/ TMS-EB200 to control both pumps and system controls.
Loop1: Pump > EHX-1320SL > CPU-360 > CPU-360 > VID-NX470 > VID-NX470 > VID-NX470 > Pump
PMP-450 w/Pump Nozzle & Reservoir Base 13 mm tubing and tank that will fit below my 5.25" bays with room to fill. Using clear tubing and the UV Green fluid.
Should I add extra reservoir on the mix? I have room for one of the HX-1020 where my HDD racks are going.

Loop2: Pump > EHX-1320SL > PSU-1000ATX-12N > 6X RAM-35 > 6X RAM-35 > MB-EVCSR2 > 3 or 4 HD-57 > Pump
PMP-400 w/Pump Nozzle & Reservoir Base 10 mm tubing and tank that will fit below my 5.25" bays with room to fill. Using UV clear Tubing and the Blue Liquid.

Plan B: well that is what I am on here to talk about. If the above plan A can be tweaked for my planned rig great, or if I need to goto plan B a total rewrite.

phamen
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Classefied SR2 build for discussion and tweaking.

Postby phamen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 pm

hello,
I am loking at building a sr-2 monster myself. i too am in the planning stage. i would like to give you an option on cases. take a look here http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=506357 this are custom Corsair 700d/800d cases for the sr-2. another thing i was thinking about adding was the chipset water block. My only concern is will the 360 water block fit with the chipset block installed.

I am new to water cooling so i started watching this guys videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/Trubyd44 I took notes and it really help me in what i wanted in my sr-2 build.

I wanted as much water cooling as i can get. the chipset in my 780i runs at 51c at idle. if i can water the chipset on the sr-2 i will be very happy. i was researching other brands of water blocks and coolers. but after watching what this guy did i am sold on Koolance.

THe only thing that i need to find out is what size tube to get. is smaller faster flow? i really do not know the rule here and i am still researching.

Phamen

P.S. your build is very close to what i am planning. the only diffence is i want two of the ERM-2K3UCU.

HOSH
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby HOSH » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:09 pm

The tubing size is a little tricky. If you go with the ERM-2K3UCU you probably will want the 13MM ID due to it using the 450 pump.

Also I hope the engineers would look at the current top of the line CPU cooler they make before designing this... But from the pictures it looks like it will fit with the CPU-360's.

Finally, I have been toying around with adding a 2nd CPU into the case to run an aux display on the desk that can run XP for game control and or server items. Maybe an Atom Micro ATX board with my old GPU. But will need to find an old GTX 270 water block.

milkmandan
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby milkmandan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm

do you think a single ERM-2K3UCU (3U) Rev1.1, would be able to handle all this? or would you HAVE to use two? (cut back on the video cards a bit, and maybe no crazy OC)

HOSH
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby HOSH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 am

Single should be able to handle the Classified 2 system.

adem0x
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby adem0x » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am

I have just put together a system with SR-2 with the following:

2 x X5680 3GHz
2 x ATI HD 5970 4GB
1 x OCZ Z Drive, 1 TB
4 x SAS HDDs (IBM/Seagate) on Areca ARC-1212
12 x WD Caviar Black on Areca ARC-1230 (or LSI 9201-16i) RAID cards
6x 8GB, Kingston HyperX (1600 MHz - CL9)
in a LianLi case with Corsair AX1200 PSU.

CPUs, GPUs, chipsets cooled with ERM-2K3UCU.

I haven't done any overclocking yet, so I cannot talk about how it would perform when OCed, but otherwise it seems to be working OK.

Ah, there's one thing though: ERM-2K3UCU is a little too loud --louder than the SR-2 when air cooled by its fans.

atspangler
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby atspangler » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Did you get the OCZ Revo working w/ the SR-2 pretty easily? I'm building a similar rig, but w/ the MM Ex. Ascension - and I've been reading people having problems getting it to work as a boot disk.

Return to “DIY and Modding”