RP-1000 fitting upgrade (generation differences)

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

RP-1000 fitting upgrade (generation differences)

Postby Izerous » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 am

Something that I had noticed when I swapped out the res in my RP-1000 that I had forgot to bring up till now is that I have an older generation model. It has built in 10mm compression fittings and that is the only option for the pump unit. However Koolance does supply the parts to be able to turn it into a threaded fitting and then use 13mm threaded compression fittings right of the pump unit essentially making it as functional as the current generation.

Two NZL-V10KGB1-P or equivalents are inside of the older RP-1000s. If you open up the RP-1000 and replace those two fittings with NZL-V10BXG-P in theory your unit should match the threaded outsides of the current generation.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

HELLFIRETOYZ
Tactical Bucket Splasher
Tactical Bucket Splasher

Re: RP-1000 fitting upgrade (generation differences)

Postby HELLFIRETOYZ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Today I was testing out one of my spare RP1000's for a new build and it started to leak. This leak wasn't that bad, but after I opened it up I found that the swiveled fittings mounted to the res were leaking at the rivet points. Also there was coolant residue all over the control board and under the pump (to my surprise it still works :o ). There was also a small leak in the outlet of the pump. I decided to tear it down and replace the res and reconstruct the unit will all new fittings. Repairing this unit is fairly easy, however, this is the 2nd time I have had to do this to one of my RP's :?
Hellfire - multi-mission, and multi-target precision-strike capability weapon system, "fire-and-forget!"

BFG GTX285 OC'd 3-Way Blocked
Asus P6T7 SuperComputer Blocked
i7 920 @ 4.21Ghz Blocked
Corsair DDR3 1600 - 6Gb
OCZ Vortex SSD 120

Eclipse1024
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Eclipse1024 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:33 pm

When you say, "replace the res and reconstruct the unit with all new fittings", did you replace the res with the same model? And if so, did you just use the fittings that come with that model?

As Izerous had suggested to me in my own post, I purchased this, http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=757. It's a replacement res for the RP-1000 but comes with the same fittings already siliconed into place. I tried to replace the fittings on mine as they started leaking the same place as yours but found that the thread size and pitch did not match the pair of Koolance fittings I had (these, http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/p ... uct_id=395). The ones that come with the RP-1000 res do not appear to have been held to the same manufacturing standards and it was not surprising to see why they failed after 2 years while I have other Koolance connectors still holding tight after 7 years of use. My guess is that the O-rings degrade (despite only having ever used Koolance coolant) to a point where they can't hold a seal.

I'm wondering now if I maybe should have bought an external res and not bothered with the internal RP-1000 res altogether, just run tubing straight in and out of the pump instead.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:15 pm

The fittings were slightly different from the ones I had on my res that came in the replacement. Newer revision of the swivels. Thinking back on it the RP-1000 lasted about 3 years before this leak and it is on typically 24 hours a day.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Eclipse1024
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Eclipse1024 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:32 am

I just finished installing my replacement RP-1000 res and the fittings are the same ones that came with the original unit built in mid-2007. I should hopefully be rebuilding the PC before the fittings go on this new res, and at that time I'll be moving to a more modular design where I can control the quality of the parts used a little better.

Return to “DIY and Modding”