One Loop Enough? [CPU-360> VID-ASR3E> VID-ASR3E> MB-AR597]

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
psymon119
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

One Loop Enough? [CPU-360> VID-ASR3E> VID-ASR3E> MB-AR597]

Postby psymon119 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:46 am

In the next 4-6 months I will be purchasing a ~$4500 computer, and throwing in an i7 980X, 2x XFX 5970's (4 GPUS, just to be clear), some Mushkin Redline and all on a Asus Rampage III Extreme. And some SSD's and HDD's in there as well but they don't pertain to my question. All of this will go inside a Corsair Obsidian 800D case.

I've never used or built a liquid cooling system before and I have decided to go ahead and do so for this machine. I have been reading almost everything I can about liquid cooling systems and will continue to do so for the next 6 or so months till I can build my computer. I have a few questions though, the first of which is this: do I need more than one loop? Also, I'm not entirely sure what order my loop should be in. I plan on cooling the CPU, both video cards, and the north bridge with liquid, and I am thinking that should be my order, yet I seek your guidance! (And then to reservoir and then my pump and then radiator?) D=

CPU-360> VID-ASR3E> VID_ASR3E> MB-AR597> Reservoir> PMP-450S> Radiator

I plan on using the CPU-360 cooling block for my cpu, two VID-AR597's for my video cards, and the MB-ASR3E for my mobo. It will be connected to the 471ml Koolance reservoir (240mm long) and a 3x120mm Koolance Radiator, and all run through the PMP-450S pump. I've read that just about the only limiting factor on reservoir size should be room in my case to make it easier to bleed the system and add/remove coolant as/if needed. AMiRite?

Being one of the largest cases on the market, I've decided that there should be ample room in my 800D for ID: 13mm (1/2") OD: 16mm (5/8") tubing. And I know there are plenty of other high quality liquid cooling components out there, but I've read a lot of positive things about Koolance and all of their components work very nicely together or so they tell me, and their custom mobo and GPU blocks are rather nice.

Anyways, I guess I'm just asking if I need more than loop, and also if I should change anything or add anything. I'm not dead-set on Koolance, although they seem to have good products and getting everything I need in one place would certainly be convenient. I *MAY* be overclocking this system, but only slightly, and probably only the cpu to ~4.0Ghz or so. I plan on leaving the RAM alone which is why I've decided to go without liquid cooling for those.

I'm completely open to comments, suggestions or scoldings. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

(P.S. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished product after all is said and done!)

psymon119
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: One Loop Enough? [CPU-360> VID-ASR3E> VID-ASR3E> MB-AR59

Postby psymon119 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Bump.

A simple "Yes" or "No" would suffice.

[Koolance] Todd

Postby [Koolance] Todd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:51 am

You don't have that many blocks in the loop, and even with 13 mm tubing, the 450S shouldn't have any problems with it.

While you could probably cool those blocks on a 3 x 120 radiator, I think you'd get better temps with a 4 x 120 (especially with overclocking). Adding a 1 x 120 to the 3 x 120 would work too, but it won't perform as well as the single 4 x 120.

Stingray
Water Balloon Grenadier
Water Balloon Grenadier

Postby Stingray » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm

You should be fine with one loop, but I would use more than one Rad.

CPU- mobo-rad-gpu's-rad-res-pump

Question is what size radiators. I'd suggest a minimum 2x120 for CPU/Mobo and 2x120 for the GPU's.

For a little bit of overkill and a ton of peace of mind, I'd go with two 3x120's. You can then OC without issue.

psymon119
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby psymon119 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 am

Much Thanks!!

Return to “DIY and Modding”