Need help with (Basically) first DIY Water-cool setup

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
nyius
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Need help with (Basically) first DIY Water-cool setup

Postby nyius » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm looking for some help on putting together my first DIY water cooled project for my pc. Whta i mean by (Basically) is that my computer is currently liquid cooled, but I did this myself using a Thermaltake Big-Water kit, so I do know the basics of installing water cooling.

But i've come to realize that id like to add liquid cooling to my video cards, in which my setup is just not powerful enough to support my cpu and dual GPUs.
I basically need help choosing every last part for my new project, as I've taken the time to try and figure it out on my own (by browsing the koolance store) but I just get lost in the various parts and things needed.

Ill give you the rundown of my computer specs, for your convenience
CASE: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Edition
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS III Gene
GPUS: Dual EVGA GTX 460s in SLI
PSU: RocketFish 800 Watts
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

So I'm pretty much giving you guys the chance to pick whatever you want (and think is best) for this build. pretend I know absolutely nothing, in which i'm leaving every choice in your hands (Resevoirs, pumps, clamps, fittings, nozels, rads, fans, tubes, every last thing to make it work (please keep cost in mind, student budget))

A few last things:
-Noise isnt an issue
-Id prefer a cylindrical resevoir
-3/8" fittings, as 1/2" would overrun my case
-I can probably re-use the same CPU block that cam with my big-water kit, as its already on and working fine

This may sound like alot, but I really do need as much help as posssible as im going crazy trying to work it all out!

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Need help with (Basically) first DIY Water-cool setup

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

First I just have to get this out LOL HAHA. Ok now that's out I will help the best I can lol. So you want to pretend you know absolutely nothing ok we can do that. And running on a student budget will be hard but we will do a decent build nothing to crazy. Here we go:

First off on build a liquid system you need to see how much your case can handle and also if you will have enough room. Next would do research like you did to see what you need and I can see where it would get confusing. Ok so now we did the researxh and found something you may like (this is pretend so let's just go with it).

First thing you see is a drop in kit and that would be the RP1000BK. This kit has what you need to get a head start. The kit comes with a pump and a small reservoir. This combo is nice because you don't need to buy parts like the cylinder you say and the parts to put the pump on. This kit has all that and more, meaning it has fan control, and three temp sensors to monitor your temperature and also pump speed.

After you like the kit, next would be a radiator. A radiator will keep the coolant at a certain temp and the fans will exhaust the warm air out. The size of the rad depends on how many components you want to cool. More rads mean better cooling but will reduce the flow and that's where another pump with a controller comes in handy. A pump will keep the coolant at a steady flow and push it through the block and the tubing.

Now you found the waterblock that you want. The 370 is the most popular cpu block on the market and the waterblock keeps your components at a nice temp. Putting enough pressure on the cpu is a huge concern cause to much pressure will bend the board and cpu. Not enough contact will make the cpu running hotter damaging it.

Next would be nozzles. Their are tons of nozzles to select from but we will cover the 2 most popular compression and swivel. Compression is just a straight nozzle that will go on the block and can't be moved around. Swivel on the other hand is a 90 degree nozzle that can twist. This is a lot of info.

Next would be tubing size. The recommendation would be 10mm and it will do the job for most systems. As for coolant you always want get more than what you need cause when you start filling up it would be bad if you run out of coolant so always order more than needed. That's all I can think of right now since I'm at work and typing on the phone lol but I hope this is a start on what you may need to build a decent system. When I get home I will probably have more info for you.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

OK this is a lot better I can read your post now without scrolling up and down constantly. Alright to sum everything up what you probably would need is quite a few things.

RP1000BK
2 VID-NX460 (Waterblock for 460)
CPU 370 (trust me you will be glad you got it)
10mm tubing (About 5-8ft)
Coolant (3 bottles)
1 3x120mm radiator
6 pairs of 10mm compression nozzles
3 pairs of 10mm swivel nozzles
2 pairs of 10mm no spill QDCs https://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/ ... uct_id=879 (female) https://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/ ... uct_id=884 (male)

So total you are looking close to $650 not including shipping and that's for a decent build not going crazy. But with these parts these will last you for a long time and would be well worth the investment. Liquid cooling is not cheap its like buying a brand new PC basically but without all the components. Hope this helps you out in building now and if I left anything out let us know.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

If you can fit more than a 3x120 rad. An additional 120mm/140mm rad in the case etc all the better.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “DIY and Modding”