What else to cool & how to do it?

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
FiftyOne
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

What else to cool & how to do it?

Postby FiftyOne » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:38 am

Hi guys,
Looking to do a fairly big Koolance build but I'm doing plenty of research on it all first.

The first system I was planning was a dual loop that then went to a 2+2 loop setup one side went;
pump1 > T > {mobo} & [cpu] > T > flow > rad
the other was
pump2 > junction > ram1 & ram2 & gpu > junction > flow > rad
Might be easier to have a look at the P&ID I scrapped up VVV here VVV

The next thing is I'm a little worried about splitting the flow too much (which is why I'm opting for dual loop in the first place) & also that cooling the ram may be a bit of overkill (as I believe most people say its a super extreme measure, so comments on this pls)
My other concern with this is should the T be eliminated from the pump1 loop, therefore making it pump1 > cpu > mobo > flow> rad ???

so the loop I'm thinking now is the following, which is basicly the same but minus the ram cooling. However, is there anything else in a system that's worth cooling? Dont want to do Hdd's but was half thinking of a Koolance PSU?

As a bit of background, all the parts are being sourced individually (ie, no kits for the build) and will be fully managed by a tms-205 & expander kit. No flashy lights, external pipes or rads. It'll look like an everyday gamer rig (minis lights) I'm also planning something special with the 2x120rad too.

Cheers guys

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: What else to cool & how to do it?

Postby Izerous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:50 am

To be honest a single decent pump the moment you no longer wanted to cool the ram can handle your second scenario... and the easiest setup would be serial with pumps in series. I would also mean only 1 drain valve required, and only 1 flow meter.

Pump/Res > CPU > Chipset > rad 1 > GPU > rad 2 > return
and toss a flow meter in somewhere and your temp sensors.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “DIY and Modding”