Need some input

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
buzzard31581
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Need some input

Postby buzzard31581 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 am

Still fairly new to liquid cooling. I bought a Swiftech system about two years ago for my Core i7 920. It's been a great system and ran like a champ. Kept my CPU nice and cool.

I recently replaced my motherboard and decided to do some other upgrading while I was at it since my graphics card was starting to show signs of failure. I bought two GTX 560 Ti's to replace my single GTX 280. I bought two Danger Den (I hope that's not cause for banning around here) blocks for the 560's.

I hooked everything up in series. Pump->CPU->GPU->GPU->Rad->Res->Pump. The system flows just fine. Unfortunately, my radiator is a bit undersized for a system like this. It's only a 2x120mm. When running my CPU at full load, it only got up to 60C and my graphics cards hovered around 45C. Not too bad. But when I ran some benchmarking or tried to play some graphics intensive games, my CPU and GPU temperatures shot up to about 80-85C. I haven't OC'd my system yet.

I'm thinking about going to a dual loop system.
Loop 1: Pump->CPU->Rad->Res->Pump
Loop 2: Pump->GPU->GPU->Rad->Res->Pump

I already have one pump, a 2x120mm radiator and a res. My current res is mounted at the top of my 5.25" bay and my pump is attached to the top of my 3.5" cage. My problem is I'm not exactly sure where to fit another set of those in my case so here's what I'm thinking. Ditch the pump and res I have and go with an RP-452X2 with two PMP-450S pumps. I don't plan on speed controlling them and will run them at +12V. This would solve part of the problem with fitting two pumps and two reservoirs in my case.

I'll buy a 3x120mm radiator and use it for the GPU loop. I'm looking at the HX-CU1020V and I would probably get three of the 12025HBK 108CFM fans. Both the blocks on the GPU's and the radiator would be copper. I would mount that radiator externally to the back of the case using the BKT-HX001 mounting bracket. Will that setup be sufficient for cooling two GTX 560's in series? They can get pretty hot from my understanding.

I would also consider replacing my current Swiftech radiator with another Koolance radiator, but I don't think it's necessary. The Swiftech radiator is brass and would stay inline with my Swiftech Apogee GTZ block on my CPU which is copper. The radiator would then be mounted in the top of my Cooler Master Cosmos S case and exhaust air out of the case. If anything I would consider getting some higher flow fans for that radiator or maybe running it in a push/pull configuration since it's used on a radiator AND exhausting case air.

Any thoughts or ideas on this setup? Comments, questions and criticisms welcome. Just keep in mind I'm still fairly new to the liquid cooling arena.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Need some input

Postby Izerous » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 am

A dual pump unit
with a 3x120 rad on for the GPU's
and
with a 2x120 rad on the CPU

would be more than sufficient to meet your cooling needs.

It is nice however when you can fit everything internally instead of hanging things off the back of the case. Been that done that and intend to stay internal when I can. I didn't notice you mention which case you have to give you further suggestions.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

buzzard31581
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby buzzard31581 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Sorry. Could have posted my setup I suppose.

Cooler Master Cosmos S Case
EVGA x58 Classified3 motherboard
Intel Core i7 920
2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC (SLI)
3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1066 RAM
Ultra x4 1000W PSU

Current cooling system is a Swiftech H20-200 Apex Ultima kit with an Apogee GTZ CPU block and a 2x120mm rad with a MCP-655 pump. When it was just the CPU in the loop, I had the radiator hanging out the back. When I redid my loop, I moved it inside and installed it in the top of the case.

I've got some troubleshooting to do. My PC kept shutting down and starting on its own. I thought the +12V rail was going bad because it was fluctuating between 12.18 and 12.41 so I swapped out the PSU. I put the new one in and I get a single click, the fans start to spin and then nothing. I don't know if I got a bad PSU out of the box or what. I would think 1000W should be enough to push that system so I don't think it's a lack of power. I thought maybe I didn't get something plugged in right so I started poking around. Well, while poking around, one of my tube clamps (the plastic ones with teeth) popped off and then the tube came loose so I got some liquid on my components. I sopped up as much as I could, drained the system, pulled everything out of the case, dried everything some more and it's been sitting like that for a few days. Figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade my cooling system. Will be going with a different style tube clamp as well.

Thanks for the input on the loops!!!

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Clamps are not that good cause it will do the same exact thing, you would want to look into compression instead something like these https://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/ ... uct_id=744. Don't know what size tubing you have so I just picked what would be the best bet.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

buzzard31581
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby buzzard31581 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm going industrial and using band clamps or some people call them worm gear clamps. You know, the kind that you use a screw driver to tighten or loosen. That sucker ain't coming off the barb, no way, no how.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Very true I used those on my waterblock for the northbridge and ya they don't budge lol. That will be the better choice.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “DIY and Modding”