ASUS RoG Maximus VI Formula and my first water cooled PC

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
DarkXoa
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

ASUS RoG Maximus VI Formula and my first water cooled PC

Postby DarkXoa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:31 am

Before I get into this, let me first note that the build which I am about to describe will be my first ever water cooled system.

The build I would like to use can be viewed here.
I plan to use the Corsair Air 540 case oriented so that the window faces up; thus displaying the awesome water cooling parts within.

The water cooling components I have picked out are as follows:

I would like to run this in a single loop, going from resivior to pump to the Cross Chill Northbridge heatsink to the CPU to the first rad to the GPU to the second rad and back around. I also plan to implement SLI in the future and put a second Titan GPU into the loop before the second rad. Which brings me to my first question: should I just go ahead and run two separate loops for this, or can the one pump handle the load and still provide longevity? My next question is about the Cross Chill Northbridge heatsink which comes on the Maximus VI Formula. I see many people who are concerned about the fact that this heatsink is composed of aluminum with a coating to protect it. Should I be concerned with this, and furthermore, will the implementation of the water cooling capabilities of this heatsink void the warranties of other parts in my loop? I would also like to know if anyone here has any experience with watercooling the Maximus VI Formula board and whether or not the board may be backwards compatible with full motherboard heatsinks, made by Koolance, for its previous verisions, in the event that I decide not to use the Cross Chill heatsink in my loop.
Last edited by DarkXoa on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkXoa
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: ASUS RoG Maximus VI Formula and my first water cooled PC

Postby DarkXoa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Another couple questions I just decided to add:
I realize that I'm going to need a bigger PSU when I add the second GTX Titan, so I'm thinking about something in the 850-1000w range. Something else, which I haven't considered till now, is that I plan to buy an ASUS RoG OC Panel to go into this case as well, but that wont be out till later this month. All things considered, what wattage would be sufficient for this build, and if I decide to separate this into two loops, will I need more wattage?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am

A single PMP-450 is capable of running it as 1 loop. I personally run 2 pumps in series when i can more for redundancy than anything else.

Usually backwards compatibility isn't possible with motherboards for full coverage blocks. Something moves even a fraction of an inch from version to version and it won't line up properly.

Metal cross-contamination: You can find this explained in much better detail in other location however in short you don't want Aluminum and Copper making contact. I have aluminum radiator and copper blocks but the copper is plated so the liquid is making contact with aluminum and nickle plating not aluminum and copper. There was a bad batch of EK water blocks where the nickle plating was bad and peeling off thus is you did have an aluminum radiator with one of those bad blocks liquid was making contact with raw copper and aluminum and would have had bad side effects over time.

Edit: Koolance's titan blocks now support their new bridge, I strongly suggest picking one up and using that when you go to support 2 titans.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

DarkXoa
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DarkXoa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you very much. If I'm understanding you correctly, since both blocks are nickel plated and the northbridge block is coated, I should be fine, but there is still a risk of corrosion. I saw someone suggest using a corosion inhibiting coolant. Does you know where I could find something like that, for risk mitigation?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:30 am

If your using plain distilled water then you need to find an additive. A lot of pre-mixed fluids already have corrosion preventative measures built in.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

I hope you are getting more cooling components than just those ;) . You really don't need to water cool the northbridge on the board it does not get very hot at all so you could leave that out of your loop. If you're planning on going with another titan card in the near future then I would pick up another titan block before koolance discontinues them its better to have one than looking for a block. As for power supplies my recommendation would be going with a good 1000w-1200w power supply, this means you will have enough power and then some. You don't want to get by with just enough power you should have the recommended power and more to spare so all of the components can run at full capacity without putting any stress on the power supply. I have a thermaltake 1000w for 6 years already and it has not cause one problem so the more power the better. As a side note I looked through you're part list and I would go with the arctic mx-4 hehe but that's my opinion.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

DarkXoa
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DarkXoa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Thank you , Ace, for the insight on the Titan block. I do realize that I will need a resivior, tubing, and fittings, but I also saw some tutorials that suggested getting all of my bigger parts first and deiciding where they will go in the case before buying tubing and fittings, so that I will know what angel fittings I might need and approximately how much tubing I will need. As for the resivior, I simply haven't decided which one I want to use and whether or not I want to put it in the displayed part of the case. While I'm on the subject, can I use one of the cylindrical resiviors mounted on its side? As for my coolant, I plan to use Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems Biocide and Primochill Base DI water. I would use one of the Koolance reds but quite simply, I don't want them to stain my parts. What else would you recommend, Ace?

On another note, I saw someone on this forum who recommended flushing with hot vinegar. I was planning on using Primochill Sys Prep. Any thoughts?

Edit: I just noticed I never commented on the dual pump suggestion. I like it, and I will definately add a second pump to my parts list. :D

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm

You could probably add the tubing to your list, always buy more than what you need. Say you get 10ft of tubing at least you'll have enough extra so if you screw up somewhere you will have extra I'm not saying buy that much since you're getting a cubed system but its something to add to you're list. You can use the cylinder res and mount it I believe it needs to be a certain size for it to be mounted but you are able to do that. I looked at mayhems liquid and to me it would be just for show like adding a loop that you think its cooling something but its there just for show. I heard that it clogs the waterblocks over time with the chemicals added in it. I have dealt with the red liquid and still have like 3 full bottles of it and its really not that bad it actually comes out quickly if it does spill just to soak it up as soon as it spills lol. I actually mixed some green and blue to make a violet color red with the koolance liquid and it came out very nice when you put up in the light and made a nice violet color in the UV.

To prep clean just use some warm water and vinegar to clean the blocks before installation its free and easily cleans the inside. Some other things you my want to look into are the new quick disconnects you can use these to disconnect parts of you're loop and also drain your loop a lot quicker to without buying a drain valve and risk leaking liquid everywhere. Since this your first liquid setup I won't go into the flow meters and the TMS where you can monitor all of your stuff and adjust certain things but if that's something you're interested in I suggest looking up those parts and see what they offer. To be honest a cylinder res with its parts would probably be better you could hide it behind the motherboard and go from there but that's all up to you what you would like to do.

Keep firing away with questions the more you ask the better understanding on how you would like to set everything up and more.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

DarkXoa
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby DarkXoa » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:36 pm

You guys have both been a wonderous help, and I really can't put in words how grateful I am to have you asking for more questions! :D That being said, I am starting to run out of questions. I do have one for now, and I'm sure I may need some advice again in the future. You can rest assured that when I do come up with another query I wont hesitate to post it here.

Anyways, I'm a bit curious about temperature sensors. I know that the Maximus VI Formula has 3 headers for temp sensors on the board in various places, but I'm not really sure how they work. Ideally what I'd like to do is to have three LCDs on the front of the case similar to this one. Each would display a temp for the CPU, motherboard, and the GPU, with another one likeley to be added for a second GPU. I'd like to utilize the headers on the motherboard if possible, but to be honest, I'm not really sure what their function is. Is it just power or possibly a way to tell the bios what the temp is at the sensor attached? Also, could you provide me with some advice, or possibly point me to a guide, as to how to mount these devices?

Edit: I feel a little dumb asking for this one. I realize you can't mount it between the chips and the block. I'm just not sure how to actually mount it. All I can find is that someone suggested to use a "special tape" and gave no more info than that.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 pm

I honestly only bother using software temps now, I found that the special tape would keep letting go over time and results in a bad reading. The older blocks it was a lot easier to apply as they had a small grove for it. I still thing they need to build it into the block itself and then just have a cable to plug in. Anyways on the bottom of the block where it doesn't get into the way of contact with the CPU is where you place it and tape it. Ensuring they touch only the block not the CPU.
Corsair 800D
32GB Ram

Return to “DIY and Modding”