Radiator and loop configuration question for newbie

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
barnaclebob
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Radiator and loop configuration question for newbie

Postby barnaclebob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm planning out upgrading my existing computer to state of the art and thought about water cooling it to get the noise down. The planned components are as follows:

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Asus® Maximus VI Extreme 
3 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX TITAN 6GB or ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 depending on availability
ENERMAX Platimax EPM1350EWT 1350W

Also i do not plan to overclock at all.

The case is an old Thermaltake armor which i plan to mod by attaching a radiator to the top or side. http://support.thermaltakeusa.com/Produ ... 33&ID=1404.

The first question i have is about the radiator. the video cards i have have a tdp of 250w, the cpu like another 70, and as a random guess, head room + the mb being another 50. Puts me at needing to dissipate 870W. The specs for the 4x120mm coper 30FPI says it should cover that just fine, but the graphs for heat dissipation i assume have the fans running at 100%, which considering my primary concern for going water cooling was noise, doesn't sound optimal. I live in San Francisco so the delta t of inlet and ambient temp would be closer to 25C instead of 15C for all but a few days of the year. My other option is the 9x120mm 18fpi beast bolted to the side of the case, but honestly that seems like overkill. Would the fan noise from the 4x be significant while cooling the indicated components?

My second question is a bit easier, what order would you set these components in a loop and would you parallel the video cards or serial them? My concern with parallel is that there wouldn't be enough flow rate to the last card, but having the 2 pumps in serial it could be just fine.

Here is a diagram of my planned loops and component hookup, it has 3 options for the video cards on it. I like vid interconnect option 2 (labeled) the most, but have the concern of flow rate. I would appreciate any feedback on the loop design.

For reference these are the components i've decided on:

CPU Block cpu-380i-processor-water-block
GPU Block 3x vid-nxttn-video-card-vga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-water-block
MB Vreg Cooler Unsure
MB NorthBridge Unsure
Pump 2x pmp-450-pump-id-13mm-1-2in
Reserviour rp-452x2
Radiator see above

Thanks for any help or advice.

barnaclebob
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Radiator and loop configuration question for newbie

Postby barnaclebob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 am

oops indicated diagram is here: http://wrenchies.net/~karl/WaterCoolingPath.png

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Radiator and loop configuration question for newbie

Postby Izerous » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm

I'll raise my hand for having mounted the HX-1080 to the side of my case. Noise VS performance is amazing :) especially with 9xNoctua fans throttled down for idle at 40% speed and only ramp up as needed. It took time to find a mounting method that provided and cleaner mount and also not make panel over stressed.

A guy I know from Fragapalooza has been limping an armor case on for years and you definitely cannot fit all of that in there comfortably.

I want to note that your not stuck to an individual radiator, if you do choose to go the 4x120 route (which should be sufficient don't know if the noise levels will be ok for you however) and you find it is too noisy you can always pick up say another 1x120 radiator and mount it to the rear of the case.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “DIY and Modding”