Advices from you

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
schubert
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Advices from you

Postby schubert » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Hello im totally new at water-cooling and i would like some assistant on how to do so to my pc giving you the parts i just bought:
ASUS Maximus VI Formula motherboard
Intel i7 4770k processor
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ EVGA Hydro Copper Cooler
Cooler Master COSMOS II case
Please im really looking forward to your assistant even fittings...because of the fact that im totally unaware of measure systems you guys use please feel comfortable to ask if you need any further information....thanks in advance Schubert
Sorry about bad english

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Advices from you

Postby Izerous » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am

While it is hard to just dump stuff on you because there are so many threads overall that talk about what is needed, and it is easier when you have more focused questions i'll try to summarize most points so that you can ask questions where you need further clarification.

Your going to want a 380I waterblock for the CPU, the Hydro coppers are already blocked so you don't need anything there.

For radiators you will need a minimum of a 3x120 radiator or equivalent size to keep the cards and CPU at a reasonable noise/temperature level. If you can go with more than do so. Go with copper based radiators, not because they are better than aluminum as they are pretty on par with each other for performance but because of the Hyrdocopper video cards it is safer to have like materials (Aluminum + Copper don't lay nice with each other).

Don't worry about the MB or Ram your first time around.

Buy more tubing than you think you need, worst thing is to be short a few inches because you miss cut something and have to sit there with a 90% complete computer waiting on parts (same thing with liquid coolant)

For a pump you really need to decided what you want, if you want a bay mount, or stand alone pump and res, or something like an EXOS unit (which is great for first time loops as it takes some of the work out of it)

You need at least 2 fittings for each item. A good starting place is 2 strait fittings for each item that needs fittings and a pair (2-4) of 90' fittings and a pair (2-4) of 45' fittings which will get you through most setups, with a few spares for future changes or mishaps etc.

For a first time focus on 10mm ID/13mm OD tubing and fittings. My personal favorite is the compression fittings due to quality and visual appeal over the barbed fittings.

2 pairs of quick disconnects one pair in the loop and 1 pair as a spare make a great way to drain the system. I have talked about this in detail in a few other threads.

And for getting it into your case there are a whole wack of liquid cooled cosmos cases out there that you can google for where you will get images of where they placed radiators etc.

Edit: Installation notes

Flush everything before installing even the hydrocopper video cards. Stuff during manufacturing and shipping can get inside and you don't necessarily want that in your computer. I'll typically use a tap water + vinegar solution (only a little vinegar) then chase it with distilled water from your local grocery store. Then finally put coolant in the system.

Run a leak test with only the pump powered after everything is hooked up (I usually do mine for 12-24 hours) before powering up the whole computer
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

schubert
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby schubert » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:19 am

Izerous wrote:While it is hard to just dump stuff on you because there are so many threads overall that talk about what is needed, and it is easier when you have more focused questions i'll try to summarize most points so that you can ask questions where you need further clarification.

Your going to want a 380I waterblock for the CPU, the Hydro coppers are already blocked so you don't need anything there.

For radiators you will need a minimum of a 3x120 radiator or equivalent size to keep the cards and CPU at a reasonable noise/temperature level. If you can go with more than do so. Go with copper based radiators, not because they are better than aluminum as they are pretty on par with each other for performance but because of the Hyrdocopper video cards it is safer to have like materials (Aluminum + Copper don't lay nice with each other).

Don't worry about the MB or Ram your first time around.

Buy more tubing than you think you need, worst thing is to be short a few inches because you miss cut something and have to sit there with a 90% complete computer waiting on parts (same thing with liquid coolant)

For a pump you really need to decided what you want, if you want a bay mount, or stand alone pump and res, or something like an EXOS unit (which is great for first time loops as it takes some of the work out of it)

You need at least 2 fittings for each item. A good starting place is 2 strait fittings for each item that needs fittings and a pair (2-4) of 90' fittings and a pair (2-4) of 45' fittings which will get you through most setups, with a few spares for future changes or mishaps etc.

For a first time focus on 10mm ID/13mm OD tubing and fittings. My personal favorite is the compression fittings due to quality and visual appeal over the barbed fittings.

2 pairs of quick disconnects one pair in the loop and 1 pair as a spare make a great way to drain the system. I have talked about this in detail in a few other threads.

And for getting it into your case there are a whole wack of liquid cooled cosmos cases out there that you can google for where you will get images of where they placed radiators etc.

Edit: Installation notes

Flush everything before installing even the hydrocopper video cards. Stuff during manufacturing and shipping can get inside and you don't necessarily want that in your computer. I'll typically use a tap water + vinegar solution (only a little vinegar) then chase it with distilled water from your local grocery store. Then finally put coolant in the system.

Run a leak test with only the pump powered after everything is hooked up (I usually do mine for 12-24 hours) before powering up the whole computer

I could not ask for a better answer ...i can tell you took your time an effort to answer this.... ill do just as u advice and im truly truly gratefull

schubert
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby schubert » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 am

Another quick questions...what should i buy to connect the 3 video cards together..i mean fittings and with the parts you mention to me whats your opinion on how the loop should be?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 am

There are direct connect pieces that will screw into each card and cover the gap between them, or you can rig something between them with regular fittings if you have the space between the cards.
Sldiing connectors

Loop order seems to matter actually less than most realize but the res should always be just before the pump but as far as the order of everything else typically series with the tubing routed in the easiest way is usually the best place to start.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “DIY and Modding”