Then another idiot showed up..

Do-it-yourself and user modifications...
Trolden
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Then another idiot showed up..

Postby Trolden » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:22 am

I want to build a water cooling system for my computer, and was wondering if someone could look over my shopping list and see if I'm missing something or if there's a mismatch somewhere..

Ultimately I'd like my water cooling system to cool both the CPU and two graphics cards:
1x Intel i4790k TDP: 84W
2x Asus STRIX GTX 970 TDP: 145W
Total = 374W

I'd like to have a single loop cooling all three components. I also want to overclock the CPU and graphics cards, so there must be enough excess capacity in the system for that.

Finally I want to keep the noise at a reasonable level.

.. but since this is my first water cooled system, I'm going to just build the cooling loop for the CPU, maybe learn something, and expand it to the graphics cards later. Keep in mind that the radiator and pump must have enough capacity that I can use them for the full loop later.

Here's my shopping list:

Radiator, 3x140mm 30-FPI Copper
My case is a Corsair AIR540, it should be able to fit a radiator this large.

CPU-380I Water Block (Intel Processor)

Pump Reservoir Base for PMP-300 (60mm OD)
Seems to come with a reservoir as well. I could be wrong.

PMP-300 Pump, G 1/4 BSP
All the pumps seem to have more capacity than what's needed. This one is quieter and cheaper.

Tubing, Clear UV-Reactive PVC, 10mm x 13mm (3/8in x 1/2in)
4ft of tubing should be enough?

Fitting Single, Compression for 10mm x 13mm (3/8in x 1/2in), G 1/4 BSPP
4 fittings.

Any comments and help would be appreciated.

MCP
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Re: Then another idiot showed up..

Postby MCP » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:59 pm

A few items that I noticed:

1) As far as I can tell, the Pump Reservoir Base doesn't include a reservoir.
2) You're going to need fans to go along with the radiator, and you may want a fan controller of some kind.
3) Don't forget to order coolant.

I don't know enough to comment on the cooling capacity of your selected parts. Hopefully someone else will comment regarding that.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm

The capacity of a 3x140 should be enough. One thing to note is that the fan selection options at 140mm can be a bit obscure with a lack of good static pressure fans since 120mm is so much more popular still.

Always order more tubing and fluid than you think you actually need. The most annoying ting ever is to cut a piece of tubing a little too short and not have enough left. Or to want to make modifications in the future and have to get more tubing to do so. Same story with fluid, always want extra in case something happens.

4 fittings total is no where near enough, you pretty much need 2 fittings for each component. 4 fittings would cover your radiator and your CPU block and nothing else.

The PMP-300 leaves a lot of people unhappy, it is truly worth it to step to a PMP-400/PMP-450.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Trolden
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Trolden » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Return to “DIY and Modding”