Controlling a 0-5V device

Koolance TMS Software & Hardware Interface...
unrepentant
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Controlling a 0-5V device

Postby unrepentant » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:08 am

In addition to fans and pumps I am looking to control a programmable switch mode power supply using the TMS -200. I need a controllable 0-5V signal, current draw is less than 150mA. Anyone know if I can just use a fan controller for this limiting it to 42% of the 12V total (is not clear to me how accurate the voltage control is or if the '%' figure truly proportional?) . If so is it possible to software limit the max on this 'fan' so as not to breach the 5V?

Thanks for any feedback. :D

unrepentant
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Controlling a 0-5V device

Postby unrepentant » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm

OK so now I understand that the fans are pulse width modulation controlled, so the solution could be to put this PSU on a pump circuit which I think is analog - again same question around limiting the voltage max through the software? I can then use the extension board and control my two pumps (in parallel) using the second pump controller provided I keep within the current limit?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Controlling a 0-5V device

Postby Izerous » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 am

your molex connectors are 12v and 5v sources. Taking a molex cable and Splicing in a potentiometer on the 5v cable will give you manual control to what ever is hooked up too that cable. You just need to be careful of what you hook up to that cable in the future.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Software”