Can't control fan speed with TMS 200

Koolance TMS Software & Hardware Interface...
bluehaze013
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Can't control fan speed with TMS 200

Postby bluehaze013 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 pm

I bought some Coolermaster R4 fans 9 of them to be exact for a Mora 2 radiator and hooked them up to the TMS200 and am unable to control them. They will work on 100% but anything less and they just shut off. Even just going to 90% from 100 will cause them to just stop. Waited a couple minutes just to see if they would start and no go, tried spinning the blades to give em a jump start and still no go. Give them 100% and they are fine again.

Thought maybe it was the fans so I plugged them into the motherboard and used smartfan to lower the voltage and they work fine with that regardless of the percentage/voltage.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

damunk
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Re: Can't control fan speed with TMS 200

Postby damunk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 am

I had the same problem with one of my kind of fans. Did you daisy chain all your fans together by any chance? It's definately something with the fans though, either they are imcompatible with the TMS or something was messed up with the wiring.

I think on mine I cut all the yellow wires because the RPM was freaking out on another controller. If I put them on 100% they'd work, but on anything lower and they'd turn off. Replaced them with other ones and I've got 3 differen't brands which are working fine now.

If you've messed with the cabeling try fixing that first ;)

bluehaze013
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bluehaze013 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am

No it's just the fans straight out of the box and they work fine off of the motherboard headers so i'm not sure why they aren't working properly off of the TMS. I have a couple Yate Loons that work with the TMS but I purchased 9 of the Coolermasters because I need 9 for the rad and would really like to get them working with it otherwise i've wasted 100 bucks on fans I can't use with this thing :shock: Hopefully Koolance has something up thier sleeve.

bluehaze013
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bluehaze013 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Trying to be patient waiting for a response from Koolance. So far this controller has been worthless to me first it doesn't work for limiting the voltage to my pumps 100% of the time and now it doesn't even work to control my fans... Quite disappointed with the product as it seems I have wasted my money buying this thing. Is the fan problem at least fixable? If not would it be possible to get a refund for this controller as it would seem to be of no use to me in it's current state. I purchased it from you guys along with a flow meter but when looking at the RMA form it appears there is a 20% restocking fee to return the product which really doesn't seem appropriate to me considering it does not work as advertised.

If the fan problem is fixable that is fine just inquiring about the RMA ahead of time since the response time on these forums seems to be so slow, figured I would kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks

damunk
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby damunk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:56 am

Hmmm... I see your frustration having bought 9 fans which don't seem to be working on the TMS. I was lucky myself that I had a lot of spare fans to replace the 3 with that wouldn't let themselves be undervolted. I also wondered at the time why those fans didn't work and am also very interested in a response from Koolance as to what is making these fans not work.

What fans exactly are you using btw? I tore the stickers off mine a long time ago but I'm pretty sure it were these ones: http://www.salland.eu/?redirect=@L3Byb2 ... NjPWxpbQ==

I wouldn't give up on the TMS just yet.. Once you finally get it working it's a really nice piece of hardware, and as soon as they add "hystheresis?" I won't have to turn anymore knobs or switch any settings to control my fans. Everything will be silent and almost passive, untill I turn on my games :)

bluehaze013
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bluehaze013 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:55 am

They are these fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103063

Now the thing seems to be resetting to max voltage for no reason :lol: It did this a couple times yesterday and now it's already done it a couple times this morning, I am starting to think this controller is not ready for prime time yet :/

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 am

TMS-200 uses PWM for controlling fan speed. Some types of fans might not allow for that adjustment (or could be incompatible with the type of PWM that is used).

Return to “Software”