TMS-200 with Exos-2

Koolance TMS Software & Hardware Interface...
lonkny
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

TMS-200 with Exos-2

Postby lonkny » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 pm

So I was so excited about the TMS-200 finally being available that I didn't read the fine print before purchasing. I received it yesterday and started getting down to business when I realized things might not work out as well as I had originally thought. I own an Exos-2 unit and now read on the TMS-200 page that:

The TMS can not adjust pump or fan speeds for Koolance "Exos" and "ERM" units without some customer DIY wiring extensions, and is not generally intended to be used with these external products. (Internal chassis or secondary radiator fans could be controlled instead.)

Can someone tell me exactly what these "DIY wiring extensions" are so that I can get things working with my Exos-2? I did find this post online but it wasn't much help (and he is modding much more than what would be necessary for my needs)...

I do own the INS-FM16 flow meter so that would work... my questions are - what would I do w/the connectors on my Exos-2 slot interface adapter (temp, fans, etc.) - would I instead hook them up to the TMS-200? What about power for the Exos-2? Also, there is the serial cable that plugs from the Exos-2 to the slot interface adapter - what becomes of that?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I would love to be able to use the TMS-200 to its fullest potential, and if not, I think there is no alternative but to return it. :cry:

Thanks for any help you can provide... hoping for some good news........

All the best,
LonkNY

MCP
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Re: TMS-200 with Exos-2

Postby MCP » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:05 am

Note: I haven't tried this, nor do I intend to, so take this with a grain of salt:

You would need to open up the EXOS-2 case and disconnect the fan and pump connections from the internal control card. Then you would need to lengthen those cables and route them down to the TMS-200 card.

lonkny
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby lonkny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks - can anyone confirm or elaborate on this? I was hoping for a little more detail... specific steps required and/or necessary hardware would be most appreciated! Thanks - I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to venture into these territories..... thanks again.

lonkny
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby lonkny » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:22 pm

I wanted to provide a picture of the inside of the Exos-2 for anyone interested... I'm assuming I would have to leave the Pump connection as is since the TMS-200 instructions clearly state that it is only to be used with certain pump models... this leaves Temps, Fans, and Power Switch - can I assume that I can lengthen these wires and hook them up to the TMS-200 instead of inside the Exos-2? Note that the fans are only 2 wire fans, not 3... will this cause an issue? Any help with this would be great... I've been sitting on this card for over a month now and it's killing me! Thanks again.

Exos2_Connections.JPG

Also, I'm a bit confused about the fan connectors... I see 3 there, but my Exos-2 has only 2 fans... there are also 2 fan connectors on the PCI slot interface, so I'm a bit confused on how the 3 fan connectors in the above picture relate to the Exos-2 unit fans and/or the 2 fan connections on the slot adapter... any info on this would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:12 am

Correct, TMS-200 will only control 12VDC pumps. The original Exos-2 and Exos-LT use 12VAC pumps. Versions LX, V2, LT-V2, and 2.5 are 12VDC.

The fans can be extended to the TMS board for control. Fans in your Exos-2 are probably spliced into one plug, although there may be a wiring harness instead. Either way, these would need to be separated out into individual connectors if you wished to control them separately with TMS. Otherwise, just extend the one fan plug and control them in tandem.

You might also need to keep CH1 temp sensor connected, as some generation units around Exos-2 would alarm without that. It could just be coiled up inside the unit. TMS includes its own temperature sensors, so there's probably not any reason to extend the Exos'.

The ATX shutdown lead is only for safety shutdown in the event of overheating. TMS includes one of these.

lonkny
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby lonkny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks Tim... so I dove in and gave this a go... turns out that each fan on the Exos 2 is controlled by a separate fan connector, so I had to extend 2 of the connectors down to my case/TMS-200... this was no problem, except when I turned the Exos-2 back on - of course it alarms now... ugh. I tried hooking up a fan connector wire (just the wire, no fan on the other end) to each of the two empty fan connectors in the unit but that didn't quiet the alarm... the error message displayed on the front of the Exos-2 reads: 1 5-0 (the 1 is in Red and the 5-0 is in blue) and blinks along with the alarm. I found in the Exos-2.5/LX manual that a 5-0 error means "S-O" or Sensor Open:

5 - 0 (“S - O”): Sensor open. This indicates a temperature sensor can not be detected for a given channel. If there is no sensor connected to a channel, this is its normal status.

So I realized that it has nothing to do with my fan connectors - the Temp Sensors on the Exos-2 need to be connected (at least one, anyway)... I will keep you posted on my progress, but hoping this is the last hurdle. I'll also post some pics if possible for others that might want to mod their Exos-2 to use w/the TMS-200...

Return to “Software”