Swamp Cooler MKII - Geek Style

Discussions on (virtually) anything not cooling-related.
Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Swamp Cooler MKII - Geek Style

Postby Izerous » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 am

Awkwardly enough this is cooling related but not really on topic...

I'm sure everyone without air conditioning has seen the redneck style swamp coolers. Take a cooler drill two holes duct one hole and attach a fan to the other fill with ice and turn fan on.

Well will all the spare parts laying around I decided to take it a step further. The only things I purchased was the cheapest cooler I could find (<$9 CAD on sale) and a really cheap submersible pump. Everything else was salvaged from spare parts laying around.

-Inside the cooler place submersible pump and fill with ice water.
insdie.jpg
Container with ice water
(97.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet

-Tube running from pump out to radiator assembly and tube running back to cycle the water.
tubes.jpg
Condensation on tubes
(200.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet

-Cut apart USB cable and used red/black wires to supply a 5V source.
wiring.jpg
Wiring, Molex to 3pin fan connectors. One rewiring to usb cable + usb charger
(133.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet

-Took 4 molex to 3pin fan adapters and cut the fan wire off of one and connected it to the USB cable.
-Plugged all 4 adapters in together and attached fans.
-Plugged it all into the wall and let it blow cold air out of the radiator.
assembly.jpg
Compete assembly
(199.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

It does actually help cool down a small room and without the inherent added moisture content of a regular swamp cooler. I really need to use LOTS of ice and probably a larger cooler but was intended as more of a proof of concept. Get to fiddle with it more later. It's effective enough I can prep it and set it up in my daughter room before putting her to bed to make it a bit more comfortable.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Off-Topic”