ASUS Striker Extreme II mb - CPU-330 conflict?

CPU water cooling blocks...
john.gray
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

ASUS Striker Extreme II mb - CPU-330 conflict?

Postby john.gray » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:12 pm

I ordered the cooler CPU-330 for an Intel quad core duo and attached it to my ASUS striker II extreme motherboard, according to the instructions provided. I noticed that the big-assed nickel plated base plate was large enough to extend clear over to the leads for 2 banks of capacitors. This is probably when i pulled out the directions. I installed it anyways and promptly forgot about it. Powered up the new system and it would power up for about 1/2 second or so and lose power. I went thru the RMA process and during uninstall, i came across the CPU cooler mount and tried it without the cooler attached. It then powered up with the intel fan attached. Is there an alternate mount that has smaller footprint? or, a non conductive material?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: ASUS Striker Extreme II mb

Postby Izerous » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 pm

At least with AMD the backplate that comes with the motherboard is 100% compatible with the waterblock (AM2/AM2+ specifically not sure about others). I'm not sure if it is the same story with intel but I would try using the backplate already provided with the motherboard.

[Koolance] Dean

Re: ASUS Striker Extreme II mb

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am

We do not have a smaller back plate, but you may cut the original hardware to fit how you need it to. Also, many customers file the sharp leads on the back of their motherboard before installing a CPU block. I have personally done this on many of my builds without a problem.

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”