CPU 370: nickel plated copper + aluminum?

CPU water cooling blocks...
Rockworth
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: CPU 370: nickel plated copper + aluminum?

Postby Rockworth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:43 pm

The radiator does in fact have a volume of about 1.7L, as it is not a "standard" radiator which is used for water cooling. It is actually a hydraulic oil cooler for a BMW X5. Anyway, that isn't really the point. The point is that I question how special Koolance's cash-cow coolant is because, as stated on the MSDS, it is 70% distilled water, 27% propylene glycol (commonly found in certain types of antifreeze), and 3% "additives." I've been researching this, and it looks like many automotive coolants and antifreeze use additional "additives" for corrosion protection. Check out http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/ for some very useful information about coolants commonly used in PC cooling.

bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Postby bambihunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:39 am

Well, just how "special" it is I guess is for you to decide. If you trust their judgement with all their blocks, etc, why not go with it. I have 3 Koolance systems some with copper rads, some with aluminum rads, all with Koolance liquid and nickel plated blocks and have had no erosion issues. I haven't mixed the unprotected radiators and it has been a source of irritation to me that Koolance has insisted on continuing to use aluminum when no one else in the industry does. At least they now offer an alternative, but not in their pre-assembled (and cheaper) kits.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 am

If you don't like what the coolant offers then don't pick any up and measure the chemicals out yourself. You asked for our advice then you want to get into every little detail. Like tim said just look at the loyalty of their customers for the past 9 years it speaks for yourself. The main problem comes from human error on building but they blame companies for their own mistakes. Basically you get what you pay for with this company, the price may seem high but they make quality products. So its up to you if you want to buy the coolant or not no ones forcing you to get it.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 pm

The other proprietary additives are important and what help prevent biology/corrosion and other long-term issues in the loop. Anyone can mix water and glycol, but the major percentage of contents aren't always the most critical.

If you can use LIQ-702 coolant instead of LIQ-705, it will perform a bit better (a few degrees max).

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”