How to not Wreck Your CPU-370 Waterblock

CPU water cooling blocks...
bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

How to not Wreck Your CPU-370 Waterblock

Postby bmxjumperc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 am

Don't do this.

I accidently let my CPU waterblock sit on a papertowel soaked in vinigar and it corroded away at the metalic coating. I think I am still going to use it, the top looks alright but just to inform others wahat only a few hours can do to your pretty chrome metalic parts. The vinigar didn't really seem to have the same affect on the black radiator that I was cleaning.
Last edited by bmxjumperc on Tue May 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: Waterblock + Vingar = :-(

Postby bmxjumperc » Tue May 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I wonder if this will inhibit heat transfer a little bit, I mainly wish it wasn't so ugly, I'm not too worried about 1 or 2 degrees, I am using CoolerMaster high performance thermal compound, it isn't as great as what came with this water block as far as I can tell but I am wondering what other users have found to be the best thermal compund?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: How to not Wreck Your CPU-370 Waterblock

Postby Izerous » Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 pm

The image reminds me of tarnishing more than anything. Either way i'd be surprised that you experience anything other than cosmetic issues for the time being with what happened.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Was going to say something when you posted this thread but held off. That is pretty bad looking it would've been better to use rubbing alcohol or another compound that dealt with nickel lol. I really have nothing to say I'm speechless lol
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Yah amazing what vinigar could do, never cleaned any components like this I know vinigar cleans some things well it was working on my radiator I'm not sure how to do any of it properly though. I should have made sure there wasn't any touching the nickle on the outside of the waterblock before I let it sit.
I am very new at this I am learning a lot as I go, I can't use a certin type of dye because it seems to get caught in my radiator and the first coolant I used was so old it had chunks in it so that probably started some bacterial growth now my radiator is probably wrecked.
After trying to clean the radiator with the vinigar when I pumped liquid through the loop again some green stuff ended up in my reservoir; I guess I have to pump cleaning liquid through the radiator instead of just putting cleaning fluid in and shaking it around. Some of those chunks were caught in the waterblock fins; I'm learning. It's a warm day 70 degrees and my CPU is 38 degrees right now not unreasonable. I think the Koolance thermal compound was really good and the CoolerMaster High Performance is just good.
What sucks is once you've built the loop you can't take the waterblock off and look to see how well the thermal compound is applied as easily.

I am still at the point where after a few weeks my tubes and liquid discolor and get grimy.
I may have to buy a new radiator and use Koolance coolant.
Does anybody else know anything about dye getting eaten up by the radiator.
I know when I clean the radiator tons of blue is gonig to come out.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Ya coolant from koolance is thaw best way to go. 38c for you CPU is not bad at all that's what mine is at always but it's pushing 130w so it's normal. If you want good compound look up mx-4 on newegg.com I use the previous type and it works wonders even a year later the compound still was attached. Once I get home I will send you the link of the remover for your CPU and gpu. But next time just clean your blocks with rubbing alcohol and flush the radiators out with distilled water, it will make things a lot easier and also look into QDCs you can easily check your waterblocks just by disconnecting those.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:37 am

UPDATE:
I was at the bar when I typed this lol but I will update what I said. To properly clean the radiator all you need to do is use distilled water and let it run through which isn't hard at all and what I like to do after that is take a air can and spray it out to get most of the water out. As for cleaning the waterblocks just use rubbing alcohol and a cloth or towel to clean it, its one of the best ways to clean those. Using dye in coolant is not the brightest thing to do your measurements have to be exact to get it to work properly which is a major pain I would stick with koolances coolant at least they have some decent colors. If you want to make a different color pick up 2 different bottles and mix them together, I emailed them about this and it won't be a problem right now mine is a violet color which is sick lol.

It is 85 degrees today here and my i7 950 is at 38c which is a nice idle temp for a high watt CPU. Don't know what your CPU is so its hard to judge what temp it should be. If you want a good and I mean good thermal compound pick up a couple MX-4s from artic cooling here is the site http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186038. I have the MX-2 and it works very well even with my 6990 it never goes over 50c on a hot day for the 2nd core. The best way to get rid of the old compound is by using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100010. That will get rid of all the compound on your CPU and GPU that's what I use when I want to put new compound on.

If you want to take your blocks off easily pick up some quick disconnects and put them in your loop it will make getting to your waterblocks a lot easier. I hope all this info helps with liquid cooling now I have been doing it for 5 years and I am still learning new things every time I make a new loop or a new build.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow yah the first time you wrote that it was really helpful the second time it was even more helpful. I am using rubbing alchol when I clean the CPU the tips about cleaning the RAD with distilled water and compressed air is great and rubbing alchol on the water block perfect thank you I am really excited to start over again because I know where to start.
The only concern I have with CPU temp right now is sometimes the liquid measurment is higher than the waterblock measurment by a few tenths of a degree celcius which doesn't make any sense. I know I have really bad air flow and I have to clean the RAD and use correct coolent so I guess it's not an issue until I've gone ahead and done that but that won't be for a few weeks when I am prepared to overhaul the cooling loop again.
The CPU temp is high because even whem my PC is idol the CPU load % is actually relatively high I have a tone of stuff operating at once on this thing so that takes care of that. I still have to really make sure the thermal compund is on evenly also seating in the waterblock is different from push pins because if the screws are uneven there might be uneven contact on the CPU is that ever a concern?

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Right now my sensor is at 30c but my CPU temp is at 39c so its going to be a few degrees off which is normal cause if you try to put the sensor in between the CPU and block it will cause a major problem. And having uneven contact with the CPU will also cause a concern you have to make sure everything is lined up right for the block to cool evenly with the CPU. Ambient temperature will play a role in how well your CPU and what ever else is being cooled. On warm days it will run a little hotter and on cold days it will run a lot cooler that's how it is unless you don't change your thermal compound and keep the rad clean from dust lol. Their is a lot of things that are involved with liquid cooling but for right now just want to learn the basics and get used to it before moving on how to properly cool your system. I could write pages on how to properly cool but don't feel like doing that lol.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

bmxjumperc
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby bmxjumperc » Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Every reply you make I am learning more to getting closer to a professionally built liquid cooled loop. How mutch time does a liquid cooled system last with out taking it apart and cleaning it?

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”