Phenom and Phenom II compatibility

CPU water cooling blocks...
Maverick
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Phenom and Phenom II compatibility

Postby Maverick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:30 am

I am receiving as a Birthday and Christmas present from my dad a Phenom II 940 processor. I own the CPU330 block would it be wise to move up to the 340 or 345 block with my system or would it be just fine using the 1/2" tubing setup I have with the Koolance/liang pump? I'm in need of some advice here as I don't know what to expect if I just slap my CPU330 and LCS into my case. I have been busy with personal stuff and have not had time to even ponder over what I want/should do with my setup and any advice would be very helpful.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Phenom and Phenom II compatibility

Postby Izerous » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 am

2 things.

Water blocks / CPU Coolers in general are more centralized around compatibility with the socket than the CPU itself. The Phenom 2.0's that came out this month are just an AM2+ socket. So anything that works with an AM2+ will work with the phenom 2.

The Phenom's that came out this month are garbage. I'm and AMD fan and I'd suggest not buying one, I know it sounds sily but you shoudl ask them for a raincheck till April when the Phenom 2.1's or what ever you want to call them come out. They are still AM2+ compatible however they don't only have the DDR2 memory controller they have both a DDR2 & DDR3 memory controller. This means when DDR3 motherboards start hitting the shelves and DDR3 ram drops, which shoudl happen before too long. You can upgrade without having to replace your CPU which shoudl finally see performance benefits from these slow AMD's compared to what they used to have with competition to intel.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”