Xbox360 water block

CPU water cooling blocks...
jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Xbox360 water block

Postby jmcinvale » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 pm

I have an Xbox360 that I liquid cooled using the GPU-180-H06 water block.

The water block is leaking where the top and bottom halves go together. Is there any way to fix or do I just need to find another water block that will work?

This one was on the GPU, but I do have the same one on the CPU and can move it to the GPU if a currently produced liquid cooling block will work for the CPU.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Xbox360 water block

Postby Izerous » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:18 am

It would be worth a try to take it out and fully separate the halves. Not much damage can be done at this point since it is already leaking. I would then find a plastic safe 2 part epoxy and re-seal the unit and give it a test outside of the XBox. If you do it right should be able to reuse it since it is only leaking where it joins together.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:55 am

Oh ok thanks I may try that if I cannot find a single water block that covers both the CPU and GPU.

Seems like the only one of those available is overseas now.

Too bad the Xbox one don't play Xbox360 games, because if it did I'd just put the original heatsinks back on my Xbox360, put the original case and power supply back with it then sell it.

EDIT: I do have some Hardman Double Bubble Red Extra Fast Epoxy that I can use if it will work.

It's the red 04001 in the first column of this table

http://www.theepoxysource.com/images/zpfile000.jpg

Any idea what type plastic the block is made of?

I epoxied the water block back together, but I don't trust it and I think I still have a very small leak.

I also need to replace one of the 90 degree swivel hose fittings as well so I may as well buy a water block if I can find one that will fit.

I don't like the 90 degree fittings as they reduce flow rate and at least in my experience the older ones can be problematic with the seal where the joint is that swivels, but I don't like the longer tubing runs required for straight fittings.

Here's a couple pictures where the water block has to go.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab19 ... AG1125.jpg

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab19 ... AG1126.jpg

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Believe I got it fixed.

Yesterday I had tried it once again using the original tubing thinking the spring clamp would be enough to seal it. Had a slight leak.

Today I cut new tubing to length and so far no leaks at all and I've been running the pump and both water blocks for at least 30 minutes now.

I replaced that 90 degree fitting with a straight fitting for now.

EDIT: Got impatient and decided to go ahead and try the Xbox.

Connected everything up then mounted the water blocks and put a sliver of paper towel over each hose connection in the Xbox. That way I will know if there are any leaks at the fittings.

Thanks for the suggestion to separate the block and reseal it.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm just glad it worked. Looking at your pictures I can see why a single larger block could work but I'm not aware of anything secure enough to fit across both. Something else that came to mind as a potential future solution if it starts leaking again or you run into other issues.

GPU-210 Universal block
I'm not sure if the sizes would be right but I have the feeling that two of those GPU-210 blocks turned to face each other with a sliding connector as this one might actually work as a full replacement and also remove the need for fittings/tubing between the blocks.

The original 360/PS3 kits IIRC were actually made from the universal blocks at the time that just happened to fit and were packaged together at a discount.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

The block itself cannot be much taller than the GPU-180-H06 block. I'm guessing about 1" if not less between the top of the GPU and bottom of the DVD drive.

More than likely I'll leave it as is for now unless the water blocks get to where they cannot be repaired because I'll probably upgrade to Xbox one if it gets the capability to play Xbox360 games.

Would be nice if Microsoft offered a version already set up for liquid cooling.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 am

Don't hold your breath for backwards compatibility both microsoft and sony said they had no intentions of doing so. Their change in the CPU architecture doesn't help matters actually makes it worse as to provide any backwards support would greatly increase the cost of the unit and they really want to push the digital downloads which doesn't require the backwards compatibility support.
Corsair 800D
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 am

Sure they say that now, but backwards compatability will increase sales of the new game systems.

All that would require is an emulator, but then again would the new system be capable of running the emulator plus the games?

I'll have to get an exact measurement on the available space between the GPU and DVD drive.

I do have a question. Does a higher flow rate always equal better cooling?

What I should have done was buy one of those Lian LI Xbox 360 cases which would have had more room for the water blocks.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:51 am

For flow rates there is a magic number of return... If the flow rate is too slow the heat stays on the waterblock and heat soaks the liquid making it very inefficient. As you increase the flow rate the heat soak type effect starts to go away. However once you get beyond a certain point what happens is the opposite, the liquid is in the block for such a short duration it doesn't really get a chance to absorb the heat.

To put it in other terms you can think of a car going by and you have a paintball gun in your hands. The paint balls being "heat" the slower the car is going to more bullets you can hit it with but too slow and you will be getting paint on top of paint. Too fast and you can barley hit it.
Corsair 800D
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Oh ok so the flow rate in any liquid cooled system should be adjusted to what provides the best cooling.

What I might do with my 360 is try to slow the pump down some by running it on an adjustible power supply and see if cooling efficiency improves. If it does then I'll add a resistor in series with the pump to drop its voltage to what the power supply was set to.

The liquid temperature runs about 86F normally and can jump up to 93F depending on the normal room temperature.

Much better than a stock Xbox360 where the air coming out the back of the Xbox is a steady 112F.

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”