Built-in Temperature Probes

CPU water cooling blocks...
pgili
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Built-in Temperature Probes

Postby pgili » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 pm

I don't suppose that I'm the only one that has had problems attaching a temperature probe to a water block, or keeping the temperature probe attached to a water block.

So, I was thinking, wouldn't great if you provided water blocks with one of the following two accommodations:

1) A water block with a "slot" right into the block into which we could slip a temperature probe. Mind you, the slot doesn't protrude into the area in which coolant runs, but strictly into the metal portion of the block.

2) A water block with a built in temperature probe. The probe itself should present terminals to which a cable could be attached, rather than have a cable hanging out of a water block -- this supports applications that don't want to leverage the probe.

[Koolance] Dean

Re: Built-in Temperature Probes

Postby [Koolance] Dean » Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am

These are both good ideas, previously we used to have a small notch on the cpu block where the probe could be placed.

When connecting a probe I've found scotch tape to be the best.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 am

The CPU-310 i believe is the last block i saw with a notch. However the temp probes at that time were also bulkier. A touch of extra tape has been doing the trick for me though for cpu blocks. The only difference is I use electrical tape instead of scotch tape like Dean mentioned.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 am

A good idea that will also provide some consistency when it comes to temp differences between software chip monitors and the Koolance probe. I have a hard time with the copper tape and I'm interested to learn that 2 of the forum's top experts have abandoned it :)

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Wed May 06, 2009 7:05 am

Mik I do still use a piece of copper tape underneath the electrical tape to ensure a good thermal contact for both sides of the probe. I just find the copper tape doesn't stick to save it's own life. Technically i'm taping down the tape :roll:
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks Izerous. I'll file that under "why the hell didn't I think of that?" and do exactly the same thing this weekend. :)

TrickyGizmo
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby TrickyGizmo » Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 am

I use copper tape held in place by tape as well, except that instead of using electrical tape, I use "Stretch and Seal" Silicone Sealing Tape. I cut a thin strip and run it around the circumference of the block. You can get it Home Depot for a few bucks. Its properties are better than electrical tape. It conforms to any surface irregularities, so it holds the probe nicely. It is chemical and UV resistant and it temperature rated from -60F to 500F, and best of all, it creates a permanent seal, but if you decide to remove it; it leaves no sticky residue.

bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Postby bambihunter » Thu May 07, 2009 8:22 am

I found that cleaning the blocks with alcohol before sticking the probe helps. I also then tape the wire to the block as well. One last thing I do is route the wire so that it goes around the block in the same orientation as it is taped so it isn't trying to reverse itself should the wire get tugged.

In the end, (for me) I found it all somewhat useless. The motherboard sensors are more accurate anyway. I use the different sensors & fan connectors from the motherboard. My Asus Crosshair II Formula motherboard allows you to set the different fan headers to be controlled by the various MB temps. For instance you can set them to change by CPU temp (most will do that), or by the NB chipset temps. I have the main CPU header control the 4 fans on the top of the radiator on the PC5-1336. Most of my other fans directly over my 2 secondary radiators are controlled off the chipset temps. I just have the exhaust fans set on their lowest speed. Asus PC Probe shows me the temps and fan speeds. I realize most motherboards don't have quite as much control as this one so I can understand running it through the front panel.

I would be MUCH more intested in them if they had their own slot as mentioned above. Also, if the wire was removable at the probe itself it would make it easier to wire.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

Return to “Water Blocks - CPU”