VID-AR699 Performance w/HD 6990

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
Kinst VonSterga
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

VID-AR699 Performance w/HD 6990

Postby Kinst VonSterga » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:13 am

So far, so good! The Koolance VID-AR699 was very easy to install. The basic schematic was all that was needed (and all that was provided, though newbies may find that intimidating if they're unsure of their modding abilities), as the removal of the fan/housing and installation of the new vid block was effortless and quick (about 5 minutes max). My HD6990 is running 28c with no load (minimal fan / pump for silent operation) and 33c under full graphics load et al. Very nice ... thanks Koolance!
Last edited by Kinst VonSterga on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: VID-AR699 Performance w/HD 6990

Postby Ace0751 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 am

I have to admit I was a bit nervous cause that's a $750 card your taking apart and your also voiding the warranty so one little mistake means buying another one hehe. But ya it is a good block, got mine at 32c and I think 38c under load but I am adding a couple more things to that loop to hopefully make it cooler. The only problem I have is the second gpu is always on 38c don't know what that is about.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Kinst VonSterga
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Kinst VonSterga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:18 pm

Ace0751,
My GPU #1 is running 2-3 degrees cooler than GPU #2, assuming its due to which chip receives the cooler liquid first. If you're 2nd GPU is 6 degrees hotter, then you may want to reverse the flow pattern through the block to see if it reverses the temp stats. If the 2nd GPU is still running hotter then it may be the thermal grease/paste (or you have a bad thermal sensor). I definitely stayed away from the mystery white paste that came with the block and opted for Arctic Silver 5.
Case: Lian Li PC4-1025
MB: EVGA SLI-Classified Copper Block Ed. P/N 769
CPU: Intel i7 extreme 965
RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3 PC3
GPU: MSI HD 6990 + VID-AR597
Rad: Monster Extreme
Pump:Eheim XT Ultra Acquastream
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000W

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 pm

It could be because when I took the back plating off one of the thermal pads ripped apart a bit so that might be the reason its a little warmer but its not a huge problem yet since my PC has been down for a while. Reversing the flow in the block won't make a big difference, they both will receive the coolant at the same time. But I am more worried about the torn thermal pad I guess I was so nervous that I didn't think it would be a problem but if it becomes an issue I can always take another thermal pad off and replace it with the torn one or I can cut off a piece of the gray pad and replace it. It works the same. I'll let you know how it goes, I get my exos back monday and I added another pump and 3 fan radiator to it lol.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Bloody Wolf
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Bloody Wolf » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 am

Unlucky me i have cold bug on my XFX 6990. They said if it runs normal on stock cooler then there is no problem with the card. I have separate loop to the card so i am able to limit the water flow till i have at least 35 degrees. Hoping it can be fixed via bios flash if i see one around. Just wondering was there any insulating washers and screws included? I could be missing those i only have the 4 thumb nuts 8 larger screw not the smaller ones for around gpu. Looking at the pdf manual it's showing i should have those rubber washers and screws. I'm using the stock coolers tension wire but those seems too tight and thought that could be the reason i'm getting cold bug. I tried using my old gpu rubber washers for the 4 corners to see if can get rid of the cold bug but it's the same result with hotter temps. I've remounted about 4x and made sure all the heat sinks have contact to all the components. I guess it's just my luck i have a cold bugged card x.

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Don't know what you really mean by all of this but I will try to help. The thumb nuts go on the edge of the card because the block does not cover the whole card. Those are used to keep the edge of the card together. I had that issue with the backplate so I put those on to keep them from seperating. As for the small screws for the GPU you can use what came with the card those won't hurt. For the larger screws, again you can use what came with the card or use those it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you use the screws that line up with the block. If you try to put all the screws back in then you will run into this problem. Only a few are needed to mount the block. The thumb nuts are for the area without screws and you don't need any washers for those.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Bloody Wolf
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Bloody Wolf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm

I've installed it correctly just like how you explained. I've also tried installing the block without the tension bracket that goes around the gpu thinking it was putting too much pressure between the block and the gpu and used easier less density thermal paste (thermalright chill factor) instead of AS5. this resulted higher temp going up to 100degrees which i didnt want i terminated stress test right away when it reached there. So i went back to mounting the tension bracket but modified it by bending it a lilttle to only put about 50% less pressure to the gpu with AS5 tim. I don't think cold bug is a result of bad installation. If you google ati 5970 there are some people that gets cold bug. People were flahing their card with different manufacturer's bios. There was also modified bios you can flash your card with. My card does run fine as long as it's around 32 degree plus. I would get cold bug issue with games that uses only on low gpu demanding games but games like Alien vs Predator, Crysis etc which uses maximum gpu load would run fine.

If you must know my heat dispenser is not your typical heat dispenser . I use 30 foot of coiled copper tube sunk under around 20 gallons of water. MY reservoir, i made a 20litre aquarium with waterfall made out fake styrofoam rocks, I thought it would look cool. Hey it's already have waterpump so why not be creative with it hehe.

Bloody Wolf
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Bloody Wolf » Sun May 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Fixed. Flashed with sapphire bios. Bad news is i forgot to save old bios. If anyone has XFX 6990card pls post both master and slave bios or submit to Techpowerup thanks in advance)

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Ace0751 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 am

Glad things worked out. As for the tension bracket you need pressure on the gpus its pressured for a reason. You won't break it unless you go crazy on tightening it. Without pressure as you saw the temps went up in a heartbeat so now you know that the pressure is used for the block having contact with the card. I also have a xfx6990 and my temps are around 29-32c which is normal for the card. The rest depends on how well the flow is for the temps I believe the highest mine went was 41c but it probably will go higher since the temperature is rising outside. Oh and nice little setup lol post some pics of it this might seem interesting.
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
MSI Radeon 290X

Bloody Wolf
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Bloody Wolf » Mon May 02, 2011 9:34 am

Ya i've put back the tension wire the way it was. Here's the reservoir. It's my first time making styrofoam rocks so i'll be making a better one soon plus i found out you can actually drill on glass so i removed my submersible. Also added an inline filter now which was only about 27bucks. I'll post the copperwire submerged in water maybe later on but nothing special there it's just an ugly looking copper wire in a bucket. It's hidden under my desk so non will see it :)

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4986/img0161p.jpg

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”