>:GPU Water Block Maintenance Question:<

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
Orangesocks
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

>:GPU Water Block Maintenance Question:<

Postby Orangesocks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Greetings!

I’m looking for some direction in cleaning out my GPU water blocks. Currently working with two AMD 6970 water blocks from Koolance.

The reason I think I need to clear the blocks out is I'm running two loops one for me CPU and the other for my GPU's. Recently just cleared my loop and flushed it with distilled water. After filling both my loops with Koolance LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant the loop that my GPU's run on became slightly cloudy after a week while my CPU loop remained completely clear.

I recently disassembled my CPU block and soaked it in lemon juice for about one hour. This completely cleaned the block up for me like it was brand new.

I have reservations about disassembling my GPU blocks I cant seem to find anyone doing it online and not even sure if its recommenced to preform this action. All I have been able to find is its a pain to reassemble the GPU blocks.

Anyone have any recommendations to clear out my blocks or is it even necessary in the first place? I have been running them in the loop for about one year now with Koolance LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant.

Thanks!

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: >:GPU Water Block Maintenance Question:<

Postby Ace0751 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

You should clean your loop out at least once a year including your blocks. The best way to clean a block out is just to flush it out with distilled water and then what I do to dry it is get a air can and clean it out like that. But don't just put the block under water that will not be good just flush it through the holes. As for the loop being cloudy, when was the last time you replaced the tubing? Over time the loop will become distorted and will have a cloudy look cause of the temps constantly rising and falling and also dust. The GPUs get a lot hotter than the CPU so the tube will have more wear on them. But like I said when was the last time you replaced the tubing?

Another thing I can think of if their is any contact with copper and/or aluminum in the blocks causing the residue to sick onto the tubing.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”