VID-NX480 Cleaning out the blockages

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
cagmisfits
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

VID-NX480 Cleaning out the blockages

Postby cagmisfits » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey Now,

Ok I have three older 480 EVA with the VID-NX480 cooling blocks. I am trying to set them up in a test computer for development purposes. I powered them on and noticed that on boot up primary card #1 was running at 60C-70C with just booting up. Card #2 was at 38C and was cold as ice. Card #3 was was so clogged up that I did not even put it in. I am running them with a brand new ERM unit that was pumping at 3.7LPM but after an hour or so went down to 2.4LPM. I have since pulled everything apart and would like to know.

How do you clean out all the crap that is inside without taking the whole unit apart? Is there some type of solution? Lemon juice, Rubbing Alcohol, Acetone...

Anyone out there know?

Please help if you have ideas that will not completely kill the blocks and seals.
When in doubt empty the clip.

CAGMisfits

Ace0751
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: VID-NX480 Cleaning out the blockages

Postby Ace0751 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:40 am

My suggestion is just take the block off so the cards do not get wet for this. Some people made a small pump sytem so all they have to do is plug it in a clean the blocks from their, others just bring it to the faucet and clean it from their, what ever method you choose both are effective. If you do the faucet way just cut a piece of tubing separate from your loop of course and run some warm water and vinegar through the block. That should break up a lot of the gunk that is in the waterblock, then dry it out with a air can. Don't know much about the pump method since you will probably need a reserboir for it to and sometimes it can be a pain to assemble.
GIGABYTE X58-UD7 Mobo Rev. 2
Intel i7 950 3.25Ghz
Corsair DOMINATOR GT 12GB 2000mhz DDR3
MSI Radeon 290X
Danger Den Customized Case

cagmisfits
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby cagmisfits » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for the response.

I was able to get about 2 tablespoons of crap out of the blocks and then my friend reminded me about CLR. I tested it on the block that is beyond help the top of the block leaks really bad and one of the screws are stripped. But when I put the CLR in it cleared the entire block. Only issue I noticed was that the nickel plating is really worn in areas were the stuff was. I made a loop and cleared out the one that was primary card one and within ten minutes it was clear. I then did card two and it was good. Too bad I lost block 3 oh well two cards are better than one and it saved me from having to buy two more 690's and two more koolance water blocks. that was gonna be a 2600 dollar OUCH :shock:

BTW Vinegar did not work for me but then again it was red wine vinegar.

CAGMisfits

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm

The warm water and vinegar works great for flushing out stuff but if a block is clogged that badly it most likely has to be taken apart and cleaned manually.

Even running warm water and vinegar only works if fluid can actually flow through the block.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

cagmisfits
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby cagmisfits » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the response,

Believe it or not after days of letting it run with CLR and a temp pump setup and two filters from Koolance the blocks are completely clear and flowing.

On a secondary note the thermal pads were like disintegrated beyond also so after almost 4 years of using these cards they got a hell of a work out and I guess I got my money's worth.

Thanks for all the advice and help but I did learn a valuable lesson unless you are going to change cooling fluid every 6-12 months or when it get cloudy and change the tubing at that time also blue and red color fluid is for the birds. I am staying with clear from now on I can put a blue or red cover over the reservior and not have to worry about creating more issues.

CAGMisfits

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”