VID-AR290X misaligned on XFX ENFC

Video card/GPU water cooling blocks...
dpottavio
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

VID-AR290X misaligned on XFX ENFC

Postby dpottavio » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

I have attached the VID-AR290X to a XFX 290x ENFC card. However, one of the screws at the bottom of the MOSFET is slightly misaligned preventing the screw from fitting. All of the remaining screws fit, and the components seem to be making good contact with the block. I assume without this MOSFET screw, one or more MOSFETs may run hotter due to less contact.

Does anyone have any suggestions? One thought I had was to place a small plastic clamp on the broad where this screw should be.

santiagodraco
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Re: VID-AR290X misaligned on XFX ENFC

Postby santiagodraco » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Amazing that Koolance hasn't responded to this. Come here hoping to find answers myself and see there's no support apparently. Time for alternatives.

dpottavio
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby dpottavio » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 am

FWIW, I have been running the card with this misalignment and have not experienced any problems thus far. I didn't bother trying to secure this contact point with an additional clip. This may not be ideal but my GPU temps have been very good with my setup so I am satisfied.

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Postby Izerous » Fri May 01, 2015 8:07 am

Koolance reps don't check the forums regularly, for immediate tech support it is best to contact them directly. Their phone number and email contact information is available on their main page.

Personally I would avoid an external clamp the safe clamping areas are so small as you don't want to squish surface mounted components, it doesn't take a lot of force to break the soldering that is holding them in place. I have lost a video card due to a sm component coming off when I was a touch to rough handling the card. Depending on the positioning and distance of the gap does bring in other alternatives though. It might be enough to simply put in a slightly thicker heat transfer material.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

Return to “Water Blocks - Video”