Everything I need for cooling Rampage II Extreme?

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...
Shailom
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Everything I need for cooling Rampage II Extreme?

Postby Shailom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am

Hi,

I am somewhat new to watercooling and am looking to get a full cooling setup with my new Rampage II Extreme motherboard. So I am asking for some advice on my shopping list to make sure I have everything I will need.

Currently I have a Koolance PC3-725BK Professional Line Case, mainly I need to know if that resovoir and pump will handle the cooling for this motherboard.

Motherboard Rampage II Extreme
KIT-MBASR2E-V2 - Complete Cooler Kit for ASUS Rampage II Extreme [no nozzles]
CPU-350AC - CPU-350AC (CPU), Acrylic [no nozzles]
NZL-L10P x3 - Nozzle Pair, G 1/4" Swivel Angled [For ID: 10mm (3/8")]
NZL-V10KG x2 - Nozzle Pair, G 1/4" Compression [For ID: 10mm (3/8")]
HOS-10BU x4 - Tubing, Blue UV-Reactive PVC, 1ft/30.5cm [ID: 10mm (3/8"); OD: 13mm (1/2")]
LIQ-705CL-B x1 - Liquid Coolant Bottle, Low-Conductivity, 700mL (Colorless)

I included a few extra nossles because I wasnt sure how many of the angled or straight i would need. I am not going to worry about cooling my GPU right now.

I also had a question on the thermal compound that you apply, with my i7 CPU I plan on getting the Arctic Silver 5. Do you apply that compound to the CPU, north & south bridge as well as the 2 VREG's?

Also, what order do you put your cooling loop at? Right now I just have my CPU being cooled so with this new MB I will be adding 4 more blocks into my loop and am not sure the order that you need to do it in.

Thanks

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Re: Everything I need for cooling Rampage II Extreme?

Postby Mik » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:26 pm

You have the basics but I would suggest you go with 4 sets of straight nozzles as these tend to be better routing options for motherboard blocks. I think you will also find that you don't have sufficient tubing; you can get an estimate by measuring out the loop using some string and adding about 50% to allow for bends (credit Izerous for that tip). Tubing's cheap and shipping a solo order of an extra 4 feet to complete a build will slow you down and hurt on shipping costs. If you ever want to expand the loop to the GPU you should certainly consider the CPU 345 instead of the 350. Even with your planned system I would still look at the 345. I don't know what pump the PC3 uses but CPU 350s are high resistance and generally Koolance recommends using it in a dedicated loop.
[If you do go for GPU cooling you will need another rad so an option would be to run the GPU and MB blocks on the PC3 integrated system and a second loop (single fan rad will be enough,two fan will be future proof) for your CPU. In that case the 350 is definitely the way to go.]
I use Arctic Silver 5 on my CPU block and find it very good. I have a full MB block for my X58 classified and Koolance tells you where to apply paste and provides paste and cooling pads for other areas; I'm sure they will do the same for your block so you have no worries there. With the VREG blocks you use paste between the block and the plate and pads for the plates; again Koolance provides everything in the kit and the instructions are clear.
Most people put the CPU first in the loop so that it gets the coolest liquid; MB blocks don't pick up a huge amount of heat though so you could use pretty much any sequence that's easy for routing.
Finally, I would suggest you look into a drain valve and/ or QDCs to make maintenance and modification easy and a flow meter to check that the loop is functioning. I would also invest in some tubing wrap to avoid kinking in tight bends. Plan on sufficient to cover about 30 to 50% of the loop or all of it if you like the look.

Shailom
Water Pistol Grunt
Water Pistol Grunt

Postby Shailom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, after reading and doing a little more research on the board I decided to dumb down my set up a bit. I am just going to go with cooling my GPU (EVGA 295 Co-op) and my CPU as those are the two components that generate the most heat. I plan on leaving the fusion block attached to the Rampage.

I was looking at the shutoff valves but was not sure where to put them. If I get the QDC, do I need male and female ends? I would assume so but not sure, do you attach them on the intank before the CPU or the outtake after the GPU (assuming I have my CPU as the first block and GPU second)?

I looked at these two:

QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Female [For ID: 10mm, 3/8"]
QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Male [For ID: 10mm, 3/8"]

Mik
Fire Hydrant Gunner
Fire Hydrant Gunner

Postby Mik » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, you need to use them in pairs. Where you put them is up to you, using a pair ether side of a block allows you to isolate it and remove it quickly for upgrading. Always buy one more pair than you need for the loop. You can then use these to form an instant drain valve by doing the following: Separate a pair of QDCs positioned low in the loop and raise one end. Fit the lower end with a spare of the opposite gender and lead the tube to a handy container for draining. Fit the upper end with a spare of the opposite gender and the loop becomes open and will drain.
You will probably find swivel angle nozzles more convenient for GPU blocks so get a pair of those and a pair of regular nozzles for the CPU. You should be ok using a CPU 350 with a two block loop if you are going to keep it that way.You have enough heat dissipation for your planned system; my earlier comment about an extra rad for GPU cooling was aimed at a multi GPU set up, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”