Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...
IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Postby IceHappy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Guys

Motherboard SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 Help please any suggestion may help :?

Discovered a CHC-125 with a leaky joint where the 45 degree nozzle mount swivels.... That was the good news as I have requested an RMA from Koolance. This leaky waterblock was mounted on my Southbridge chipset. Now for the bad news....
After removing all cards and 10 SATA cables I found my Northbridge chipset CHC-125 just hanging. I found the spring was still looped around the motherboard retention loop but the other motherboard retention loop was missing. I found it on the chassis floor. Thank goodness nothing blew as the retention spring was just laying on the motherboard and the waterblock was just touching the Northbridge....

Anyone has a suggeston how to remount the CHC-125 without a mounting hole in the motherboard and one retention loop missing??????

I sure hate to have to replace a dual xeon SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 motherboard because of a loop that popped off the motherboard.... Any suggestions welcome as I am too shocked and in a state of panic whereas I am not thinking a solution... Many thanks for reading this. Koolance kit has been very nice in this setup until I found the leaky joint which showed me the popped retention spring hold down loop. :shock:
IceHappy

[Koolance] Tim

Re: Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:48 am

The CHC-125/122 spring bracket doesn't apply that much force, but I've still seen some boards lose their metal loops. Normally, they're soldered underneath the board and can be resoldered.

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks Tim for the suggestion. I have done many modifications in the past 25 years of building computers however I don't know if I have those ablities to soldier without joining up what needs not to be joined up. If I was in California I UPS/Fedex the Mother home to SuperMicro but I am in Devon England whereas there is not many people who can do this that I am aware of. Wonder if any reader knows of anyone in England qualified to do this kind of work???????

Thanks again Tim for the suggestion... :)

bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Postby bambihunter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 am

It really isn't hard to do. I am a hack solderer but I have done several of these without trouble. They are easier than replacing capacitors on the motherboard.

If you are completely opposed to that idea. One way I have seen it fixed so that you don't have to apply heat to the board at all is to make some type of a plate for the backside of the board and put an insulater between it and the actual PCB. Then, run a wire up through the board, through the insulator, through the plate, then secure it to the plate. You could rivet it on, screw it down, or even solder it to the plate instead of the board.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm

bambihunter wrote:It really isn't hard to do. I am a hack solderer but I have done several of these without trouble. They are easier than replacing capacitors on the motherboard.

If you are completely opposed to that idea. One way I have seen it fixed so that you don't have to apply heat to the board at all is to make some type of a plate for the backside of the board and put an insulater between it and the actual PCB. Then, run a wire up through the board, through the insulator, through the plate, then secure it to the plate. You could rivet it on, screw it down, or even solder it to the plate instead of the board.

I guess you are right I have to grow a pair.... Just an expensive Motherboard for the first soldering hack... :lol: :mrgreen:

I hate tearing something apart that works well except for one small wire retention hoop :twisted:

Thanks for the kick up the back side.... Tomorrow the hoop later that day the world.... :lol:

bambihunter

Postby bambihunter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:55 pm

It shouldn't be too bad... My very first motherboard repair was a blown cap on a dual-amd server board. I was sweating all the way through it and continued until it booted again. Like I said, I am a hack at it but, you just have to remember it isn't working right this way...
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Re: Tim please view Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Postby IceHappy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

[Koolance] Tim wrote:The CHC-125/122 spring bracket doesn't apply that much force, but I've still seen some boards lose their metal loops. Normally, they're soldered underneath the board and can be resoldered.

Hello Tim I have a link here to two jpgs just to show you the stress the Koolance tension spring (which was the correct spring to use from Koolance issued assortment). As I feel your reply did not fit this occassion!!!!!!!!!

On the first photo I use a red oversized - to show you the left side of the tension spring. This is the motherboard "U" that jumped from its solder mounting. As you suggested one had to remove the entire motherboard - to resolder but whilst doing it I touched up the other qty 3 "U" pins as well. Hopefully no more popping out!!!!!!

http://a04-b04.mypicturetown.com:80/P2P ... .jpg?rot=1

and

The second photo shows a very large red O around the bend of the tension spring. If you dled this pix or the first you need to blow if up (I use ACDSee jpg view to do this) to see the enormous bend in the tension spring.

http://a04-b04.mypicturetown.com:80/P2P ... .jpg?rot=1

I will be doing another one like this and I think I will prebend the tension spring as the bend you have been looking at has been caused by the pressure....

Just thought you might like to comment of these pixs since you don't feel Koolance tension springs don't put a lot of stress on a motherboard. This motherboard is a Dual Xeon 3.6Ghz 64 bit SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 with 6 gigs of Ram...

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... DA8-G2.cfm

Please Tim comment, Many thanks.....

omegastitch
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby omegastitch » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 pm

That does look like some serious pressure to me. I can understand a mild flex, but that is severely noticeable.
omegastitch

If ignorance is bliss, please let me die unhappy.

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:32 am

omegastitch wrote:That does look like some serious pressure to me. I can understand a mild flex, but that is severely noticeable.

Thanks for noticing Omegastitch..... Now we can see the first fault I ever had selling SuperMicro Motherboards and Chassis since 1993! You can now see why the "U" came away from the motherboard..... I wasn't SuperMicro's fault!!!!!!

Now I must say what a great job Koolance has down creating the High Flow QDC's. I have had to remove the source of Koolant from the tubes so that I could change out the failed CHC-125 - there now has been qty 3 - CHC-125's that failed and one set of Nozzle NZL-V10KG – “O” ring is getting a work out from 3 changes of CHC-125's. The last leak in water test was from the "O" ring in the nozzle you cannot imagine how relieved I was to see that failure instead of another 125! But having the QDC made life so easy as the Koolant expelled during block change out was only from tube coming from one of the CPU-340 water blocks. Very easy to deal with and I did not have to clamp any tubes. I have many water kool builds over the last 6 - 7 years from other companies not Koolance with no problems such as I have had to deal with here but I still like Koolance and would recommend to all Koolance kit and that they should also fit QDC's as it make problem solving less time consuming, messy and stressful. It isn't until you have problems that you really see Koolance design work. Please Koolance sort out the CHC-125 45° angle Nozzle holder from leaking in the swivel....

bambihunter

Postby bambihunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:09 am

I think it is stressed because your tubing is all on the same side and puts quite a side-ways torque to the block. I bet if there were no hoses on that block there would be no flexing of the spring (but, what good is a water block with no hoses).

I would bet if you rotated the block 180 degrees where the fittings were on the far side of the block where the tubes had to go back across itself it would reduce the sideways torque greatly.

I gave up on the CHC-125's and replaced with the CHC-122's and used the v2 version of their 45 degree connectors. It isn't as low of a profile so it might not work in your scenario but seems much stronger than the v1 version of the 45's used on the CHC-125's.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”