Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Northbridge, Southbridge, PCI-E chip, and VReg water blocks...
IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Re: Motherboard Loop to hold CHC-125 pulled out

Postby IceHappy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 am

HiYa Bambihunter

What you cannot see as the expansion card are not installed is that there is a special card that goes into the slot to the left of the CHC-125 which is a 133Ghz slot. Supermicro 8 port Marvell DAC-SATA-MV8 Sata Controller and the removable bays in front of the chassis behind the door has 3 x Seagate Barracuda 1.5 Tb Sata's 7200rpm drives, 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1Tb Sata's 7200rpm drive and 3 x Seagate Barracuda 300 gig Sata's 7200rpm. From the side edge or the rear edge of the Marvell DAC-SATA-MV8 is 8 SATA cables runing over that waterblock so the positioning of the nozzles is to not interfere with those cables or another way of putting it is the fact that the nozzles can move and the CHC-125 block be position like this allows the Southbridge chipset to be waterKooled.....

bambihunter
Water Cannon Artilleryman

Postby bambihunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:46 am

OK, so you have a full-length 64 bit card in there then?

If you can't swivel the whole block, can you reverse the nozzles so that they face AWAY from the direction they are currently going? If you made a big loop it would essentially do the same thing which would put a counter-acting pressure the opposite direction it is wanting to bend.

Alternatively, you could maybe put a nylon spacer or shim on the downward side (below the nozzles) to help take a little of the twist from those clips.

I don't think this will work with the clip-type board, but on my AMD Crosshair II board, I didn't like the flimsy universal mounts so I drilled clear through the motherboard tray and used a nylon spacer between the tray and the motherboard and then put a spring, washer, and nut on top. I can send pics if you want them but unless you have a big area around those pins I don't think that option will work for you.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks Bambihunter

I considered that but there are too many circuits running around to chance a drill job but excellent suggestion....

No I cannot turn the waterblock around have considered making a larger water tube loop the problem is the Chassis is only 4 U thick. Also I have bent the spring a bit more and it still fits but not as tight. I have another exact computer to this one to waterkool next with same Koolance kit and will prebend the tension spring before fitting. I cannot start that job as I have one CHC-125 either at Koolance or still in the post trying to get to them and I am waiting on another RMA approval to send back two more CHC-125s. So I have to wait till Koolance replaces these puppy's before starting that job. Wish SuperMicro used reinforced holes and screw down chipset heatsinks.... I have another SuperMicro motherboard C2SEE with a QuadCore to do after that as well which has "U" Pins for chipset heatsinks. Wonder what is wrong with Koolance design to have so many faulty CHC-125's!?!? Never had a waterblock leak - actually never had a leak before. Thanks again for the suggestion....

bambihunter

Postby bambihunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm

I think it was their first version of their 45's. I think they are just not strong enough for larger tubing. They might have worked fine with the smaller diameter stuff. IMHO, the v2 45's are much, much tougher. I don't know if/when they will impliment them into the CHC-125's.
PC5-1336BK
PSU-1300ATX
2 VID-NX295S
2 RP-1000
RP-980
CPU-350AC
2 CHC-122
MVR-100
AMD 955BE, 6 250gb in RAID0, 8GB OCZ Flex 1200, 2 EVGA GTX295 FTW's. Loop 1: CPU & quad GPU's. Loop 2: PS to 120mm to NB/SB/Vreg's to dual 80mm rad/fans

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 am

I really do not believe I am typing this....

The "U" pin has popped out again. I thought yesterday that I should inspect the CHC-125 Installation and Tension Spring. What I found I could not believe. I found the "U" pin on the floor of the Chassic AGAIN! Remove the waterblocks again and remove the motherboard..... No way... Bad enough to have done it once. I found in my collection of glues a two tube mix up both contents type glue.... Hardens in 15 minutes.... I used just enough to coat the insertion area of the two legs of the "U" pin inserted. Went off immedately to use excess glue and by the time I walked downstairs the glue pile ws hardened. Wow that was quick. So I did some other stuff around the workbench and an hour later reinstalled the CHC-125 after removing again the Artic Silver with proper remover then used the neutralizer and reapplied a fresh layer. Check just 5 minutes ago and after 24 hours pleased to say that puppy is still there.....

Tim It is now twice that you have read that Koolance replacement Tension Spring on the CHC-125 has ripped out a SuperMicro Motherboard "U" pin so now you cannot say you have never heard of this!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

[Koolance] Tim

Postby [Koolance] Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:16 pm

I thought you were describing spring bracket tension perpendicular to the motherboard. Lateral tension caused by the hoses on the CHC-125 is quite different. A chipset water block shouldn't want to rotate enough on its heat source that it pulls the wire loops out from the board.

If you need the CHC-125 in that specific location and can not rotate it or reposition tubing to relieve stress, I would permanently bend the wire bracket with pliers into a less strenuous position, or try to bind (zip-tie) the CHC-125's tubing against something else to cause a similar effect.

HELLFIRETOYZ
Tactical Bucket Splasher
Tactical Bucket Splasher

Postby HELLFIRETOYZ » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 am

I might be a little late on this thread, but thought I'd chip in on a similar problem I had with the CHC-125's in a build I did a few months back. I mind you that my problem wasn't this extreme, but I managed to get it solved by using the motherboard "mounting posts" and mounted them to the motherboard directly. Then I screwed the block down onto these posts instead of using the tension screws provided by Koolance. With this mod, the block was as tight as can be on the chip and never moved again.
Hellfire - multi-mission, and multi-target precision-strike capability weapon system, "fire-and-forget!"

BFG GTX285 OC'd 3-Way Blocked
Asus P6T7 SuperComputer Blocked
i7 920 @ 4.21Ghz Blocked
Corsair DDR3 1600 - 6Gb
OCZ Vortex SSD 120

IceHappy
Water Shotty Skirmisher
Water Shotty Skirmisher

Postby IceHappy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm

HELLFIRETOYZ wrote:I might be a little late on this thread, but thought I'd chip in on a similar problem I had with the CHC-125's in a build I did a few months back. I mind you that my problem wasn't this extreme, but I managed to get it solved by using the motherboard "mounting posts" and mounted them to the motherboard directly. Then I screwed the block down onto these posts instead of using the tension screws provided by Koolance. With this mod, the block was as tight as can be on the chip and never moved again.

Thank you for your suggestion, however, there are tiny circuits where these "U" pins go through the MB otherwise I would have taken the suggestion and request the drilling and installation instructions offered earlier from the great poster Bambihunter... :lol:

Would you guys believe it? I did not want to remove this MB again so I did what the guy who invented the bucket did.... I mixed together from the two tubes of Extra Strength Super Glue + which sets in 90 seconds (or less in my situation) and just coated the legs of the "U" pin and carefully reinserted them. There is no glue on the MB around these holes... That was some time ago and the last time I was at the end users house I checked and everything was fine.

To all those who thought that the problem was the angle of the tubes and uneven weight. Many thanks for your ideas but the reality was that this bend in the Tension Spring happened before the other ends of the tubes were mounted or filled. The spring supplied by Koolance was not big enough. So the next job I did with an exactly same computer was prebend the Tension Spring (if you had seen the pixs then you will see the force the spring bent just attaching it to the "U" pins). Also what help is I have found Sata cables at Aquatuning on the web that had exact size from the controller to the back of the removeable Hdd bay controller so there is no bunch up, hiding or getting in the way of this CHC-125 an exact fit! Aquatuning also has from InLine manufacturers a unique cable, as the Sata Controller installed has two out of the 8 Sata connectors coming from the top of the card whereas the other 6 were coming out of the edge, a cable that has one side angeled 90° left connector. Perfect for the job.... http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p6296_SATA-round-cable--blue--one-side-angeled-90--left--with-latches--0-30m.html Check these guys out they have some solutions!!! That is for those of who live in Europe! :D

Thanks again to all of those who answered and/or read this thread!!!

IceHappy
Nearly Frozen but still truckin.....

Problem solved

Return to “Water Blocks - Motherboard”