Reservoir and Pump, RP-1250 question

Pumps and reservoirs
jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Reservoir and Pump, RP-1250 question

Postby jmcinvale » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:14 pm

I am looking at getting the RP-1250 to upgrade my cooling system for my Xbox360.

I already have a PMP-400 and reservoir I bought from a forum member who upgraded the driver board for the pump.

Is there any benefit to swapping out the PMP-400 that comes with the RP-1250 with the PMP-400 I have or is the PMP-400 in the RP-1250 already as good as the PMP-400 I have?

Also the tubing I used is the 6mm (1/4") internal diameter, 10mm (3/8") external diameter tubing. The tubing inside the Xbox360 can't be any larger than the 6mm tubing. Will I benefit from upgrading the external tubing to a larger size or will it not matter far as flow rate is concerned? I do have 7 90 degree swivel adapters. My thought is if I replace the external tubing with larger tubing the 90 degree adapters won't be as small and won't restrict as much of the liquid flow.

I have an INS-FM16 flow meter which I will set on top of the pump/reservoir, but am not sure yet if I want it connected to the inlet or outlet, but I would use a piece of tubing just so I don't have to use a sliding 180 degree U connector unless with the larger tubing diameter the u connector won't matter.

Also can the internal LEDs of the RP-1250 be easily replaced? I have two small LEDs that light up a blue green (more blue than green) color that I have sitting on top of my current reservoir which really look nice with the blue liquid coolant.

Not sure I want to go swapping the pump or installing the LEDs as that could void the warranty?

Izerous
Rain Maker
Rain Maker

Re: Reservoir and Pump, RP-1250 question

Postby Izerous » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 am

There are many different control boards that can go into the PMP pumps one thing however is that the RP-XXXX series products usually have an power cap that they can provide to the pump and if the custom control board was higher powered than stock it may try to draw too much through the RP-XXXX unit burning it out.

No point in upgrading external tubing I'd seriously be surprised if it make and real difference to the overall loop as it still has to push through the smaller 6mm hosing. If you can change out the 90' fittings and replace some of them with 45's it would probably make a larger but still small difference.

Swapping leds would probably void the unit but it is probably harder taking the unit apart to get at them then it is to actually change them.
Corsair 800D
2xPMP-450S > Amd FX8370 > Asus CH4-EX > AMD 6990 > AMD 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
32GB Ram

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 am

Oh ok.

Wonder if I could use some of the 90 degree angled fittings which can get me the required 90 degrees with a larger bend radius than the standard 90 degree fittings.

I redid the tubing in the Xbox360 removing the dual fan assembly and chopping off one fan so that I still have one to pull some air throught he case so the tubing wouldn't have as many bends and be shorter which helped some.

One of the 90 degree fittings is actually a 6 port distributation block which is attached to the inlet of the radiator with a small piece of hose. The liquid temperature sensor is screwed into that block. I plan on getting the proper coupling to do away with that short piece of tubing and maybe going with a four port block instead.

I'd like to get rid of the 90 degree fittings altogether, but I originally had it that way and didn't like how it looked plus there wasn't really enough room on the shelf the system sits on for it to all fit properly.

Now if the DVD drive of the Xbox360 wasn't in the way I could use different water blocks which would be required if I used larger tubing as the current two water blocks only accept the smaller diameter tubing .

Now if I were to leave the current PMP-400/reservoir in the system would it help overcome the restrictions of the 90 degree fittings? I do plan on running the internal pump of the RP-1250 at full all the time though.

jmcinvale
Garden Hose Sharpshooter
Garden Hose Sharpshooter

Postby jmcinvale » Thu May 15, 2014 3:49 pm

I might look into getting a deeper shelf so that I can do away with the 90 degree fittings.

Return to “Pumps & Reservoirs”